Right Handle Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right Handle Switch

So I bought a used right handle switch at a local junk yard for my bike and tried to put it on tonight but am running into a problem. When the throttle sleeve and switch are not on the bike everything fits together perfectly. However, trying to put it on the handle bar gets me in trouble to where it doesn't close right (See first picture). I found this tab inside of the switch (second picture) which I think is hitting the handle bars preventing it from securing down right. What is that tab for and can I cut it off?

If I can't cut it, I also noticed some holes on the underneath side of the handle bars. If I position the switch over that it closes just fine but the throttle won't reach far enough to sit right into the switch housing. Can I just drill another hole into the handlebars instead?

Thanks for the help. I'll have another question later about the switch electrics on here.

Scott
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Okay, guess i'll have to do this twice. Sorry. Here's the second picture
    sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The tab is there to help keep the whole assembly from twisting on you when operating the throttle.

You can drill another hole, just measure the distance you need it moved, and mark the bar where you need to drill in-line with the original hole to keep everything oriented the same as original.

Make sure to centerpunch the mark before drilling, and take your time, let the drill do the work. Handle bars are made from hard stuff, last thing you want is for the drill bit to jump around on you.

Best of luck, and remember to post a pic or two for us when you are done.

Comment

Thank you Macguyver. I'll give it a shot tomorrow if the weather holds (supposed to storm tonight).
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

A tip that I have found helpful before drilling that hole:

Spray some black paint on your chrome bars in the area where the grip will be. Put the grip on there loosely in the general area, then put it where it will be comfortable to operate the switches. When you find the proper area, rotate the grip to scribe a line in the paint with the tab, then slide it in and out to scribe a cross-line. Remove the grip, you now have the exact location where you need the hole. After you drill the hole, it is a simple matter to wipe the paint off with a Scotch-Brite pad or some very fine steel wool.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I always just Dremel those useless tabs off. I hate making handlebars weaker by drilling holes into them, and it's impossible to fine-tune the position of everything to my liking.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The hand control can twist without the tab on some bikes, others seem fine. One one 550 I had with Bikemaster bars the throttle could turn on the bars and the screws were bottomed out on the hand control. Might have something to do with handlebar diameter or something, not sure. At any rate, I'd drill the bars.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had the same issue with a set of replacement Daytona bars I bought to replace my stock "L" bars...

No alignment hole for the throttle assy to anchor in - I cut the tab because I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole into those "thinner" bars, I did wrap the bar with some aluminum duct tape directly under the switch to stop the assy from rotating though.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                X