LED taillights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED taillights

I put a pair of the "Flower" type LEDs that replace the bulbs on my GS1150 tail lights Now the stop/tail indicator in always on. Do I need to put a rsistor in series with the LED's? If so, any idea what resistence?
    Thanks

Originally posted by gregr View Post
    I put a pair of the "Flower" type LEDs that replace the bulbs on my GS1150 tail lights Now the stop/tail indicator in always on. Do I need to put a rsistor in series with the LED's? If so, any idea what resistence?
    Thanks
    No, not necessary unless they are too bright!

Resistors are usually installed in parallel over the flasher led's to help increase the load so that the OEM or load sensitive flasher unit works properly.

Comment

The light monitor in your panel is looking for a certain amount of current draw, indicating that the light is actually working. By changing to LEDs, you have greatly reduced the current that is flowing, and the monitor thinks the bulb has burned out. By putting a resistor in parallel, more current will flow, satisying the monitor, but you probably changed for the purpose of reducing that current, so it would be counter-productive.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The light monitor in your panel is looking for a certain amount of current draw, indicating that the light is actually working. By changing to LEDs, you have greatly reduced the current that is flowing, and the monitor thinks the bulb has burned out. By putting a resistor in parallel, more current will flow, satisying the monitor, but you probably changed for the purpose of reducing that current, so it would be counter-productive.

Actually I changed them fro more bitghtness not current reduction. Any idea how much resistance ot put in parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
          Actually I changed them fro more bitghtness not current reduction. Any idea how much resistance ot put in parallel?
          First of all, what lights did you get, and, ... did you get the extra brightness you were looking for?

Too many times, the LED replacement 'bulbs' only have a small 'bright' spot and don't fill the entire area.
          Let us know what you got and how you like it. Pictures would be nice, too.

The stock tail light is about 2 or 3 watts, meaning about 1/4 amp. To get that, you would need about 50 ohms.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X