Seal for Gas Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seal for Gas Cap

My gas cap on my '81 GS850GX is leaking. I took a good look at it and the rubber seal looks like crap. I also had gas coming out of the top of the cap through the key hole. I really don't want to spend $70+ on a new cap assembly if I can simply replace the seal.

Anybody have any suggestions on what type of rubber to buy to make a seal and where to get it? I think I can use the old gasket to make a new one.

Thanks,
    Rich

The tanks actually use the key hole as a vent, so don't fill it to the tippy top or when the fuel warms up & expands it will seep from there...

Good idea to take the cap assy apart & clean it up - it has very small ball bearing under that plastic cap, along with some small springs, & "directional" washers/discs that act as a check valve. Clean up & lube accordingly. Take care when you take that apart & note the order of assy...

I would think any kind of rubber that oil/fuel resistant would make a gasket - the trick is to find something the same thickness as the stock rubber gasket.

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
    X