Timing set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing set up

At last, I finally got my GS back together (6 months...bad weather,little time). Unfortunately it won't fire. The original points were no good,so I fitted my Piranha ignition from the previous engine, can anybody tell me how to set up the timing using a strobe please....if I don't fix it soon there may be a load of GS bits for sale. Seriously, any advice appreciated
    Dave

What bike Dave? For a GS1000 the book of words says point your strobe at the timing mark at less than 1500 RPM and the F marks should line up. Spin the motor up to 2500rpm and the advance marks should line up. Note that's for points - the Piranha box might have a different set up for advance if it doesn't use the standard advance / retard mechanism.
    Last edited by hampshirehog; 05-02-2010, 03:21 PM.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Sorry mate, the bike is a GS750d /e. The bike doesn't fire at all, the timing is WAY out. Turns, sparks, tries to start, but ultimately doesn't
      Fuel is getting through (there was a huge bang, I thought someone was shooting at me).???????????????????

Comment

cant give you exact advice for pirhana ignition but just try moving the back plate around whilst cranking it until it sounds positive about firing, then fine tune it. make sure all your connections are good also!
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Dave, when you get it running the 750 figures are the same as the ones i gave you for the 1000.

For the static set up Google Newtronics Ignition - Newtronics is the new name for Piranha.

Of course you might just have the plug leads on the wrong cylinders - worth checking.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

sounds like the rotor/trigger is 180 degree's out.
            if so,
            pull it out from the advancer and spin it half way around and re-engage.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the advice....will let you know before end of week. After re-checking wiring, main fuse was in a really poor state,so that is my first task,will then double check connections. Just off to check newtronics site now, will follow all advice. If all else fails, can anyone lend me an Uzi?????
              Thanks again Dave

Comment

Working...
              X