Shift indicator bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift indicator bulbs

OK,... I have 3 that are burnt. Where shall I find these elusive bulbs????

Here is an exploded view of the speedometer cluster

I need 19 (not availible)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. BIG_brother,

Instrument lamp:
      #194 or #158 (miniture w/wedge base) is close enough. (OEM 12v/3.4w is hard to find.)

Or I may have some extras out in the garage if you're interested. Send me a PM. In the meantime, here is your "mega-welcome"...

I thought I would stop by and welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Are you sure?

Hang on a sec there Cliff, with all due respect, I have my cluster apart right now, and I am pretty sure the bulbs in question can't be replaced with 194's, or 158's, due to the fact that they are quite a bit smaller. The bulbs for the oil, neutral, and turn signal lights are 158/194 compatibles.

What we need here is for the gear indicators, and IIRC they are about 3/16" in diameter, and are set into a little base.

I need an additional one for my dash lighting redesign, and was thinking that a 12V mini christmas tree light bulb might do the trick. I was planning to pull one of the bulbs out of the socket and base and take it into the local hardware store and see if they can maybe match it to something close that I could put back into the base, and plug back into the socket.

Best of luck in your search, and please post your results for those of us similarily bulb-challenged.

*EDIT* I just checked what we have in the store and the closest we have is a GE #37. They seem a bit too long to me though, from what I remember. May I suggest taking one of the bulbs to your local auto parts store and physically compare it to a #34 and go from there. They look like they may plug in without the base piece on them, but I can't remember if the base piece has a wedge to it or not.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I used these from Radio Shack

You have to use an X-Acto or other sharp knife to remove the red and white lead wires as they are glued as opposed to soldered to the bulb.

Comment

13) Install new petcock, since I'm going to head to the roof with a rifle if I have to read about yet another #2 plug fouling and failed hillbilly attempts to rebuild the petcock and/or deny there's a problem.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will use the radio shack bulbs as a last resort and NO x-mas tree bulbs will NOT work... they have to be 12v

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
              Hang on a sec there Cliff, with all due respect, I have my cluster apart right now, and I am pretty sure the bulbs in question can't be replaced with 194's, or 158's, due to the fact that they are quite a bit smaller. The bulbs for the oil, neutral, and turn signal lights are 158/194 compatibles.
              You're too nice Mr. Mac. You can call me an idiot. I won't mind.

Mr. Big brother, I do have some spare gear position indicator bulbs though. I saved them from my wrecked gauges.

I'll add the information on my website as soon as I get a compatible part number for those gear position bulbs.

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Still no luck as of yet!

If anyone has 4 of them they will give up... PM me and Ill give you my address

Comment

I have a bunch of those lamps.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If anyone has some bulbs they want to pass along PM me and I will give you my address

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
                      I FOUND THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=42024443
                      Nice sleuthing! I'll add that information to my little webpage. Thanks!

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X