clutch fibers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch fibers

So I replaced the fibers in my 82 GS1100E a few weeks ago with a set of fibers from APE (an extra plate set possibly made by barnett). I STRONGLY advise against using this type of fiber. The thin steel fingers absolutely wreaked havoc on the aluminum clutch basket causing the following problems:

1) clutch drag - properly adjusted but not releasing because steel fingers cut into aluminum not allowing plates to separate.
    2) ROUGH shifting/missed shifts
    3) BANGING into first gear
    4) impossible to find neutral
    5) damaged clutch basket - from metal fingers cutting into aluminum

I removed the basket, filed all the damaged areas of the basket smooth again and ordered a set of EBC fibers which are constructed on an aluminum alloy core that won't cut into the basket. They also have a broad finger 3X wider than the steel core fiber to distribute the load on the basket (see image). Reassembled and the clutch/transmission operate like butter. Soooo much better!

I saw some previous posts about this issue. Just wanted to reiterate and STRONGLY advise against using fibers mounted on a steel core.

btw the EBC fiber pack was 1.5lbs lighter to boot.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2010, 11:16 PM.

Originally posted by davel View Post
    I STRONGLY advise against using this type of fiber.
    BTDT !.........

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

404 Not Found
      The server can not find the requested page:

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...&highlight=fbg (port 80)
      Please forward this error screen to www.thegsresources.com's WebMaster.

Comment

That's EXACTLY why I tell people not to use them! Ray.

Comment

This is exactly why i used ebc's instead of barnetts. I was advised by so many people that the barnett kits are so much better than the ebc kits, and maybe if you are building a 500 hp drag bike, they are. After looking at the plates in a side by side comparison, i couldnt bring myself to do it. Ive been building transmissions (in cars) for a long time, and i have seen alot of clutch baskets grooved up due to thin and sharp tangs. The EBC's are a much better choice for the street with all the engagement and disengagement that occurs during street riding. I have not been able to get mine to slip either. In fact, not two weeks after installing the HD clutch kit from EBC, im now havin to replace the secondary drive gears because all the hard shifting ive been doing (with zero slippage) has toasted them. They grab plenty hard enough.

Comment

Thanks davel, that answers a lingering question I've had about my 78 GS550 that had all those symptoms until I did the restore on it this winter / spring, and found one extra fiber and steel, so thin that the fibers gouged the crap out of the clutch basket. I just didn't know why the one I took out was that way. Replaced it with an OEM spec. Vesrah and spent many, many hours cleaning up the basket and hub.
            Still works great so far, about 2k miles later. I'll stay away from the "skinnies". Good info!

Comment

Working...
            X