1982 gs 750 my fixing up thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs 750 my fixing up thread

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to the bikes in general. I just picked up a 1982 750 gs that need some parts and elbow grease to run. And then some more to shine.
    List of thing that are wrong.
    No air box
    No points/ignition cover
    No front brake handle / master cylinder
    Taillight is cracked but works
    Headlamp cracked doesn't work
    left rear blinker is smashed a bit
    Need new seat original is rusted on the bottom and cover is duct tape
    Front tire is starting to crack
    Petcock doesn't turn (maybe im doing it wrong) lol
    New paint job
    side covers
    and bunch of small adjustments and cleaning
    On the bright side engine turns over just fine only 30k miles was last inspected in NY in 2009 so it hasn't sat too long.

My goals are to find new possibly clamp on style handles with all the lines, used air box, lights im still undecided and here are some pics.

All comments and suggestions are welcome i come from a car background and on few subaru forums so i'll try to respect this forum rules and members.
    but first i got to get my manual in the mail lol.

Welcome !!!

That will be a nice bike with a little work. You're actually missing the air filter box too. It sits behind the airbox and over top of the battery. Looks like the brakes will need some work as well. As far as tires....just get two new ones. Although tires may "look" okay, old tires are bad news.

Good Luck !!!

Check out a part fische site like this to see all the parts and pieces on your bike.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

thanks for the link and im definitely waiting on my manual before i start getting parts just to make sure i get the right ones

Comment

so in my search for the air box assembly i only found those that have filter inside not in the extra assembly does anyone know if those will work for me too, or is the volume of the box affects air flow drastically enough to cause problems. from what i understand that box acts like an intake manifold does on the cars right? if i make my own box similar size do you guys think its gonna work.
        also which bikes have clamp on bars that would clamp on stock fork i guess main thing here is the diameter of the fork and the clamp itself.

Comment

small update

last weekend i was able to get it to run , also stripped the tail cover, side plastics and gas tank and put a nice coat of primer now i just gotta wetsand and paint the bike is going to be red with black. also got in the mail most of my parts point cover, new blinkers, used but solid taillight, front brakes and some other small bits. the only things that i still need is new headlight and bulb, mirrors and i discovered that my handlebar is a bit bent so im going to get a sportbike bar soon. should be road ready by the end of the month.

ps. will post pics when i get a hold of my camera.

Comment

can't wait to see the finished project. good luck!!

Comment

So i did some more work on the bike got the brakes fully working master cyl is from a 82 yamaha 650 i believe and they worked perfectly now i have font brakes. also painted my el-cheapo ebay blinkers they were chrome originally. and put two nice coats of red. also found out my seat pan is 30% rotten decent foam though dunno if im going to save it or get different one yet. still need to buy a headlight, mirrors. and rebuild a set of forks i have on the shelf. also i cut a front fender a bit since it was pretty damaged fro, po.
              here are some pics
              wetsanding

first coat

second coat

blinkers

Comment

Looking good !!!!

I have an exhaust for you, if you're interested.

Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

it came with 4-1 supertrapp not in the best of shape but still pretty decent. thanks though

Comment

Air Cleaner

Look at this part fiche, I may have item # 5 in my spares box. If I do you can have it for the cost of shipping. I've got to run some errands I'll check when I get home. Looking good so far.
                    Last edited by Bill C.; 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM. Reason: forgot the link
                    80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

i got the #5 but still looking for #14 if you have that ill definitely be intersted

Comment

Air Cleaner

I only have the one part. Have you tried flea bay or a bike wrecker?
                        80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

haven't seen any on bay and dont know of any wreckers around nyc. i think i'll adapt regular cone filter to the first box

Comment

Did you use a paint roller on the tank?

Comment

yep regular rustoleum, i'l still clear coat it so it will be a bit more smooth

Comment

Working...
                              X