Seal Leakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seal Leakage

For that past 4 years I've noticed a small amount of fluid pooling around the left front seal after removing the boot on my 82 GS850L. Doesn't leak on the shaft or run out of the boot.

The right side is dry. Should I try some seal swell? I really don't want to attempt to replace the seals. Did it once back 20 years ago and now not equipped to do the job. Would have to bring it to a shop.

What brand of seal swell is recommended and will this help in stopping the leak?

If the fork seals lasted 20 years, it's time for new ones IMHO.
    I doubt seal swell will make any lasting difference.....however I just picked up some Bel-Ray fork oil, and it has seal swell in it as an additive per their proprietary formula, if you want to try it. FWIW, I have not used Bel-Ray in the forks before, but a riding friend who has, says it does make a difference with longevity of the seals.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Hi,

I agree. It's time to fix the fork seals properly. There was a member here just recently who had an accident because he neglected a fork seal. I normally don't recommend a shop, but if that's what it takes then so be it. Shop charges for fork seals will be cheaper than a hospital bill. Ride safely.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

This job can be done in less than a day. And doesn't require any special tools. A bit of advice from here if you get into trouble (there's always someone on line to help).

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I have heard of the Bel-Ray fork oil and I'll try flushing out the forks, use the Bel-Ray and see if it stops the leak.

If it doesn't make a difference, I'll take it to a shop as I remember doing the seals myself last time and had to get the bike on a stand and also take off rear wheel in order to replace the seals.

Even though I don't ride much in the summer - 500 kms and only short trips of less than 20 kms around town, better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

There should be no reason to take off the rear wheel.

Comment

I couldn't tilt the front end high enough to take off the forks
              without taking off the rear wheel.

Once the rear wheel was off I could easily tilt the bike on the center stand to have enough room for removal of forks.

As I remember it - I think? - it sucks to be old -

Comment

Working...
              X