Mr Popsplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Popsplayer

What is the width of 88 forks Upsidedown forks 11" will be to wide to run es fairing .

86-88 forks will fit behind the fairing just fine... I know this, because Im doing it, eventually. Have the forks and whatnot already... just gotta get a few more things together, and get my 750 running right so i have something to ride while i do the swap

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      86-88 forks will fit behind the fairing just fine... I know this, because Im doing it, eventually. Have the forks and whatnot already... just gotta get a few more things together, and get my 750 running right so i have something to ride while i do the swap
      cool

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
        What is the width of 88 forks Upsidedown forks 11" will be to wide to run es fairing .
        88 forks are not USD

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          88 forks are not USD
          Jim I think he was asking what the width of the '88 forks are, because the 11" wide USD forks are too wide to fit behind the fairing stay..

Comment

Jim I think he was asking what the width of the '88 forks are, because the 11" wide USD forks are too wide to fit behind the fairing stay..

Not so sure about that; Kichigai used GSXR 750 forks (looks like 90-91)on his ESD

Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

Comment

Not so sure about that; Kichigai used GSXR 750 forks (looks like 90-91)on his ESD

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=118949
              He used 750 forks. Which might? Be a bit narrower up top? The forks themselves not the trees. Maybe? And even then he had to spread his fairing stay and use flat head bolts and stuff to get it to work. Plus there are the ground clearance issues with the 750 forks to consider. Etc. For the difference in NOTICEABLE performance gains I think the first gen stuff would probably be more than adequate and a heck of alot easier. You would know tho since you've done it

Comment

He used 750 forks. Which might? Be a bit narrower up top? The forks themselves not the trees. Maybe? And even then he had to spread his fairing stay and use flat head bolts and stuff to get it to work. Plus there are the ground clearance issues with the 750 forks to consider. Etc. For the difference in NOTICEABLE performance gains I think the first gen stuff would probably be more than adequate and a heck of alot easier. You would know tho since you've done it
                I think Katman also uses GSXR750 forks (on a Kat) but with the Honda Drop triple. Going with 4:2:1 that has a reasonably tight fit will make up for any fork clearance issues.

Major complexity with the USD is the ignition and clock mounts and getting 180/55-17 to fit in the back (chain alignment primarily).
                Last edited by posplayr; 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I think Katman also uses GSXR750 forks (on a Kat) but with the Honda Drop triple. Going with 4:2:1 that has a reasonably tight fit will make up for any fork clearance issues.

Major complexity with the USD is the ignition and clock mounts and getting 180/55-17 to fit in the back (chain alignment primarily).
                  Is the wheel on the USD offset from center or the GS front offset from being centered in the forks? I'm trying to visualize how swapping the front end will mess up the rear alignment. I've got some '03 GSXR-1000 forks that are eventually going on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by cavehamster View Post
                    Is the wheel on the USD offset from center or the GS front offset from being centered in the forks? I'm trying to visualize how swapping the front end will mess up the rear alignment. I've got some '03 GSXR-1000 forks that are eventually going on mine.
                    You can't swap the front end and NOT put a matching wheel (radial tire applicable) on the back. Mixing bias ply tires with radial tires, especially radial front and bias rear is dangerous. The offse problem he is talking about comes with the rear wheel set up. GSXR wheels are obviously wider, the hubs are different in depth from GS and you'll need an offset front sprocket to get the chain to line up, not to mention various spacers to get the wheel centered in the swinger in respect to the front end, the chain and the brake.

Comment

You can't swap the front end and NOT put a matching wheel (radial tire applicable) on the back. Mixing bias ply tires with radial tires, especially radial front and bias rear is dangerous. The offse problem he is talking about comes with the rear wheel set up. GSXR wheels are obviously wider, the hubs are different in depth from GS and you'll need an offset front sprocket to get the chain to line up, not to mention various spacers to get the wheel centered in the swinger in respect to the front end, the chain and the brake.
                      Outside of the bias/radial issue, what else needs to match up?

Comment

USD wheel should be centered.

I'm just referring to USD forks normally go with the 17" rear wheels and unless you substitute a 17x4.5" rear wheel you will be shoehorning a 17x5.5" (180/55-17) wheel/tire in the rear.

Generally requires much greater care in rear wheel spacing and chain alignment and 1mm is a long way (e.g. 520 chain, some frame grinding, 5/8" offset).

I put a 18x4.5" rear wheel with 170/60-18, 530 chain , 3/8" offset counter spocket and only a single 1" chain side spacer and have nice (4-5mm either side) chain clearance.

Comment

Outside of the bias/radial issue, what else needs to match up?
                          Like I said, the chain alignment is crucial. Your rear sprocket must line up with your front. Because the GSXR or later model wheel is WIDER, you will need an offset countershaft sprocket to make this happen. Depending on your chain size, wheel size, etc, you may run into clearance issues. These mods have been documented numerous times on this board, and pretty much just about every concievable model used and everything laid out pretty well. Try a search, you'll get all the answers in detail you could possibly want, and then some

Comment

Yea you have to do all that and although alot of people do it you have to be careful in 17x5.5" rear wheel conversions as there is not much room to spare.

Comment

Like I said, the chain alignment is crucial. Your rear sprocket must line up with your front. Because the GSXR or later model wheel is WIDER, you will need an offset countershaft sprocket to make this happen. Depending on your chain size, wheel size, etc, you may run into clearance issues. These mods have been documented numerous times on this board, and pretty much just about every concievable model used and everything laid out pretty well. Try a search, you'll get all the answers in detail you could possibly want, and then some
                              Well, seeing as I, personally, have pretty much completed such a swap, I understand how complicated it can be.

I'm just trying to understand why changing the front end to USD forks and the associated wheel requires going to a 180 in the back. If I was running radial tires front and back, could I not run the stock rear end with a tire of equal or wider width than the front and be just fine, or is there some special magic here I am missing?

I'm sorry if my question is lame, I'm just trying to understand why swapping to a 180 out back in order to run new forks in the front is so critical? Or is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X