Head gasket question for Chef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket question for Chef

I have a 78 GS1000 currently with an 82 GS1100 motor with the Wiseco 1166 piston kit. I used the Cometic gaskets that came with the piston kit, and suffered for many months with oil leaking out of the front of the head gasket, then around the sides of the cylinders where it would get picked up by the wind and spritz oil everywhere. I got a hand cut head gasket from Chef, and it sealed that thing up perfectly! Nothing special, looked like maybe an OEM, 5 layers of aluminum vs. the Cometic's fibrous gasket with metal rings around the bores. Having done the gaskets on my 78 GS550 as well as the original 1000 motor from my bike, I've seen what looks like chrome steel (Vesrah - 550), 3 layer aluminum (Vesrah -1100, didn't use; same style used on the 1000), and now the Cometic and the good one I just put in!
    Chef, where'd you get that head gasket? I'll swear allegiance to wherever that thing came from!

Originally posted by J Paster View Post
    I have a 78 GS1000 currently with an 82 GS1100 motor with the Wiseco 1166 piston kit. I used the Cometic gaskets that came with the piston kit, and suffered for many months with oil leaking out of the front of the head gasket, then around the sides of the cylinders where it would get picked up by the wind and spritz oil everywhere. I got a hand cut head gasket from Chef, and it sealed that thing up perfectly! Nothing special, looked like maybe an OEM, 5 layers of aluminum vs. the Cometic's fibrous gasket with metal rings around the bores. Having done the gaskets on my 78 GS550 as well as the original 1000 motor from my bike, I've seen what looks like chrome steel (Vesrah - 550), 3 layer aluminum (Vesrah -1100, didn't use; same style used on the 1000), and now the Cometic and the good one I just put in!
    Chef, where'd you get that head gasket? I'll swear allegiance to wherever that thing came from!
    He got it from me, but it was Rapid Ray that cut it from an OEM 1150 gasket

Wow just noticed you said you had the Composite Cometic gasket leak. I'm assuming you did not skim cut your head?
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Glad it worked.
      Rapidray cut that with tin snips.
      I take back everything bad I never said about him
      Thank Posplayr for the gasket. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have had it.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Hopefully Ray sees this and can tell me where it came from.
        Regarding the head, I took it and the cylinders to a place called Motorcycle Machine for the cylinder prep and valve job. They did state that they "straightened out the head", which they stated didn't need done when I brought my 550 head in for the valve job. So, I guess that's a skim cut??? Reaching my inner cluelessness here.

Comment

I use ONLY stock SUZUKI gaskets whenever I can! They just DON'T leak! Ray.

Comment

Thanks, I suspected that. I'm a convert now, because even my 550 seeps a bit. Just not enough to hose down the side of the bike. Guess I'm gonna have to reset my cheap meter to a higher value.
            Posplayer, thanks for the gasket! And does that earlier reply read "skim cut" to you? Just curious / clueless.

Comment

Thanks, I suspected that. I'm a convert now, because even my 550 seeps a bit. Just not enough to hose down the side of the bike. Guess I'm gonna have to reset my cheap meter to a higher value.
              Posplayer, thanks for the gasket! And does that earlier reply read "skim cut" to you? Just curious / clueless.
              I simply meant they took 0.003-0.008" off to get the head flat; not trying to jack up the compression.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Hopefully Ray sees this and can tell me where it came from.
                I bought it (dropped it off on last years Julian CA trip), Ray cut it, Bill picked it up .

Bill still has the second 1150 gasket which I'm expecting back .

Comment

Ok, thanks. Then, yes! And by my very unscientific check with a long steel rule, it did appear true.

Comment

Working...
                  X