Yeah the painting is done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the painting is done!

Well finally I was able to get a low humidity day today and found the time to shoot the clear. Unlike my last try at clear on the 400, this went on smoothly and I'm pleased to say with no sags or runs. I think I got my groove back I almost pooched it however but my sharp eyes caught the problem before I went ahead.

I had recently changed to Nasson 2 part clear as its available in smaller quantities, is relatively cheap and of decent quality I'm told. The first quart I got was about 3/4 used when the hardner was all used up according to the mix ratio of 3 to 1. so I picked up another quart but unbeknownst to me it was a different formulation with a mix ratio of 4 to1.
    I caught that just as I was mixing a batch for the tank. It might have been annoying to mix it at 3 to 1

The only issue I might have is that in the ratio of 4 to 1 in the new stuff I used 1 measure of the old stuff. I'm hopping that won't turn out to cause any probs.

So far it all looks good and my fingers are crossed. Given a good outcome, I'm going to have this puppy wrapped up by the weekend.

I'll be posting picks as soon as I bolt it all together.

Cheers all,
    Spyug

Nice work Spyug, keen to see the finished work.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Now that thou hast vanquished thine painting woes, we need pics!

I am glad to hear things turned out for you, and it's good that you caught the mixing ratio difference in time.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Comment

Which Nason? I use the 496 which is a fast dust time and drying. It is great and I have used it several times on motorcycle helmets. If you are going to cut, give it a few days and see if you can get away with 2000 grit. It is a great clear but thin.

Can wait for the pictures.

Comment

Working...
        X