oil leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leaks

is it just my 1100e(81) that likes to leak oil, or do others have this issue to i was leaking out the valve cover. did valve adjust and changed the gasket so i cured that. now it leaking from the bottom somewhere. i did tighten half the oil pan bolt but need to pull the exhaust to get to the rest. i know there is a small leak on the front at the crankcase cylinder gasket, it may also be leaking from the left side cover(already checked the screws, they tight). i think as soon as i get another bike i'm just gonna do a full teardown to replace all the gaskets and seals then i can black out the engine

option b would be to have someone do the overhaul for me. if anyone here does engine work in the socal area, i may be interested some time in the near future.

Comment

Rapid Ray is in Orange near Disneyland.

I have found leaks can come from various sources including:
      • Engine cover mating surfaces get "crowned" from the aluminum surfaces being scraped by PO's removing old gaskets. I carefully use a flat file to restore flatness (valve cover, clutch cover, pan cover, stator cover).
      • Case bolts will start to leak, Pull them apply (FormaGasket) Ultra Black and retorque
      • DO NOT USE A COMETIC MLS GASKET.
      • Change The O-ring on the starter.
      • This is a PITA, but change the ignition side crank seal.
      • Make sure your breather mesh is on the correct (right side for 82/83 EZ/ED/ESD)
      • Make sure the breather is not blocked.
      • Use Dowtey Seals where you can(including some 6mm bolts onclutch cover and valve cover).
      I'm getting close
      Last edited by posplayr; 05-06-2010, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Tach

Also, check to see if it's leaking from the tach cable attachment. It's not uncommon. If so, there's a little, round rubber gasket that you can replace quite easily!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

thanks for the info, i'll be checking the old girl out when i can. till then i better stock up on oil

Comment

My 85 GS550ES likes to pee on driveways and garage floors too. Ive looked for that leak all over and still cant find it. All I can assume is it starts at higher rpm's under load. I ony get about 2 drops of leakage when I park it for the night. All the oil is off the right hand side and it seems to roam around. Its some sort of gremlin thats messing with me I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
              Its some sort of gremlin thats messing with me I know.
              No ride bells, huh

Comment

Working...
              X