head lamp aiming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head lamp aiming

I have just replaced the bearings in the steering head of my gs250 and now have a problem with the headlamp aim. The headlamp bowl appears to be aimed to the right. It is quite obviously out of line with the front wheel. I had the fork tubes removed with plans to rebuild but thought it unnecessary since I could see no real reason to fix something that didn't appear to be broken. I now wonder if I did something wrong when I reinstalled them.

Not exactly sure how your bike's headlamp hsg mounts but most are attached to a set of brackets, that are in turn "attached" to each fork tube. The brackets usually have an upper & lower ring (covered with a rubber gromet) that allows the fork tube to go through.

You should simply be able to re-position the brackets by rotating them a bit on the fork tube. You may have to loosen a couple of bolts to relieve some tension...

good luck.

BTW, we need pics !!
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

head lamp aiming

I have found the problem. When this bike was purchased it had obviously been dropped but the only damge appeaed to be a banged up head lamp bezel and a scarred turn signal lamp. After some head scratching and a bit more careful examination it was seen that the headlamp brackets had been bent. After straightening all is well again.
      alex

Comment

Working...
      X