Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'78 1000 is dangerous if not treated nice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 1000 is dangerous if not treated nice..

My 1978 GS 1000 has a dangerous habit, during too brisk acceleration it may suddenly jump out of gear all by itself!When I tight-wire it in 3rd it jumps into 4th without any prewarning, something that is quite dangerous because the sudden shock makes me yank the handlebars and cause a wobble. There is also an occasional "knock" from the engine, especially when cold and always at lower speeds. Above 70-80 kph there is nothing, or at least nothing can be noticed. Something makes me tink its the starter kicking in by itself as it did once when I reconnected the battery. Swapped the relay with the one from my Katana 550, no improvement. It seemed to have reduced tendencies at first, but now the problem is even worse. Any suggestions??

It's unlikely to be upshifting on it's own

The noise is most likely your clutch hub. Have you narrowed down where the noise is coming from?

Right side - clutch
    Left side - starter clutch
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Believe me, it does upshift on its own! I changed the damper springs in my clutch hub last summer when I got the bike, crossed my mind also that the clearance between the springs and the oil pump gear is too small. Since the old springs found their way out the holes in the backing plate this may not hold the new springs like its supposed to.

Comment

If it is jumping out of gear when under load, you need to split the cases & send the trans out to have it undercut. You can do this without even removing the valve cover. Ray.

Comment

What do you mean undercut? what is done?

Comment

Originally posted by arve View Post
            What do you mean undercut? what is done?
            They re-cut the dogs so they get a more positive lock when engaged...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Wouldnt it be more convenient to get new dogs and change drum?

Comment

Wouldnt it be more convenient to get new dogs and change drum?
                The dogs are part of the gears and new gears are costly...
                If you can find a good used set, that may work.

Best to open it up first though and make sure what the problem really is...
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yes. One theory I got is that the spring loaded "roller" holding the change drum(isnt that what the cylindric thingy with all the grooves in it is called?)in place between the gears has a weak spring or is misplaced. Just thought I'd write a thread in the GSR forums first to see if someone has encountered the same problem, or has a suggestion of solving the problem in a simple manner.

Comment

DO you have big feet? Are you resting it on the gear shift lever ?

Comment

Yes, but in case I was resting my foot on the lever it should self-shift down and not up, or what? Besides, when Im accelerating hard I have my foot UNDER it.

Comment

Yes, but in case I was resting my foot on the lever it should self-shift down and not up, or what? Besides, when Im accelerating hard I have my foot UNDER it.
                        There you go.

You're pulling up and shifting

A transmission will pop out of gear on acceleration, but not into a higher gear.

Go out and try some full throttle runs with your toes on the pegs and see if it happens
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Dear sir, I have driven motorcycles since I got a licence in 1992, and this has never happened before!

Comment

Dear sir, I have driven motorcycles since I got a licence in 1992, and this has never happened before!
                            Well, I've ridden motorcycles since 1969 and wrenched on them since 1970 and I've never heard of an upshift under power without pulling up on the shift lever

Try doing it with your toes on the pegs as I suggested and see what happens

My theory

1. Accelertion shifts your weight backwards
                            2. You compensate by pulling yourself forward - mostly with your arms, but also with your legs. Pulling with your legs lifts your foot = upshift
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sir... The same thing occured to a friend of mine when he was trying my bike. This has never happened to anyone of us on any bike! But that doesnt mean it cant happen, one time must be the first. Have you ever seen a white moose in your life?

Comment

Working...
                              X