I need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some help

Big T suggested I post these questions here as they were too technical for the general discussion forum....

Ok, so I posted a thread a few days after picking up a $100 '81 gs450s. Just to recap, the bike appears to be all original and pretty clean, however, i can't get it to turnover/run. Here's what I've tried so far. And big thanks to gggGary for all the advice:

- brand new battery, fully charged per manufacture instructions
    - bike has a broken start button housing, but you can touch the wires together to get juice running through it. I've ordered a direct replacement start button housing (in working order) off of ebay.
    - when touching the start button, I hear 2 CLICKS. 1 when the button is down, and one when released. the CLICK CLICK is coming from the left side electronics panel. when I put my hand on the individual units, I get a physical sensation from the solenoid/starter relay. it kind of jumps.
    - have disconnected, cleaned (sand papered all bullet connections) and reconnected all wires coming from the left side panel (rectifier, starter relay, etc.)
    - have disconnected, cleaned all grounds
    - Per Gary's advise, I've put the bike in all gears and tried to roll it around in an attempt to eliminate a seized motor. Initially the bike did not want to roll with in gear, but i sprayed a little carb cleaner in the exhaust mani and spark plug holes. let that sit for a couple of hours than tried to roll it again and it rolled in all gears. After getting it to roll, i put a couple of squirts of 10w40 oil in spark plug holes to combat the solvent of the carb cleaner...again, thanks Gary
    - Tried to jump the solenoid with a screw driver buy shorting the 2 large bolts. Nothing, no spark at all
    - took off carbs (what a bitch.... man, getting them off was brutal, but the airbox was unforgiving). The carbs are immaculate. I was told by PO, that he had done a carb job before he stored it. Carbs are clean, gaskets are fresh and rubbery, all passages/ports are free of debris.
    - the carbs, tank and petcock were bone dry upon inspection.

When cleaning all the connections, i discovered the following: 2 wires (both yellow w/ green stripe) coming from bottom of clutch but not connected to anything and the ends had no terminators on them. Also found a single white wire coming from left blinker with a bullet terminator on the end. it was not connected to anything. Right blinker does not have this wire coming from it. Both blinkers are fully operational.

So, it's alot of information, but i wanted to make sure i gave you all the steps i've tried so far. At this point, I'm lost. I don't want to pay to have it fixed because then I will not have taught myself how to fix it in the future. That being said, i need to mention that i know NOTHING about bikes, so if you have suggestions, please pretend you are instructing a child, yes, that mean PICTURES, VIDEOS, sh*t i'll even take an audio book at this point.

Thanks in advance

*side note, i'm in St. louis. if there are other riders on this site from my area, PLEASE reach out.

sorry, wrong section.

Comment

Start with your basics. Fuel, air, spark and go from there. Clean everything you can get your hands on for free, check your fuses, clean your connections if needed and work on one problem at a time. Seems you did most of those already... thats good. You might have a smoked starter.

Comment

Working...
      X