petcock issue on '82 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock issue on '82 650

I recently saw a post on here explaining the petcock positions for fuel flow and realized that i was wrong. i thought that PRI stood for Primary, not Prime and have been running the bike with the switch in that position. I tried recently to switch to the down or 'ON' position and the bike started to hesitate and stall out after a few minutes of running. I'm wondering if this may be a vacuum issue. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time

thats exactly what it is. I have the same issue. I just run mine on prime and when not running turn it to the on position. I guess it is fine until rebuild or replace the petcock.

Comment

I think it's time to buy new ones.

Charlie G.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjedi View Post
        ... I guess it is fine until rebuild or replace the petcock.
        Pass on the rebuild, go straight to replace.

The kits are less than half the price, but are usually junk, and you will have to get another kit or break down and get the petcock anyway.

On the other hand, the petcock will work perfectly, but has to be replaced every 25-30 years, take your pick.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some of the kits work well, on other models the parts don't fit at all.
          Very poor QC.
          If the metal bits are corroded it won't work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It is a vacume issue. The petcock is vacume operated. No vacume, no fuel. Broken diaphram in petcock, no fuel. The rebuild kits are almost what a new one runs. Most recomend just buying a new one. It's easy to do.

Charlie G.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

where would someone find a new vacuum petcock? 82 gs750t?

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjedi View Post
                where would someone find a new vacuum petcock? 82 gs750t?
                Suzuki dealer. Buy Genuine.

Comment

Partshark and cyclepartsnation are a couple of places I've gotten good prices. Partshark wants $58.21 plus shipping for yours. Check around prices do vary and the shipping can be extreme. Maybe not on a petcock.

Link: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...1982&fveh=2138

Good luck with getting it right.

Cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Genuinedrummer View Post
                    I recently saw a post on here explaining the petcock positions for fuel flow and realized that i was wrong. i thought that PRI stood for Primary, not Prime and have been running the bike with the switch in that position. I tried recently to switch to the down or 'ON' position and the bike started to hesitate and stall out after a few minutes of running. I'm wondering if this may be a vacuum issue. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time
                    The prime position lets the fuel flow unrestricted. The on position only lets the fuel flow when vacuum is applied to the petcock. You should have two lines coming off your petcock a larger fuel line and a smaller vacuum line. Is your vacuum line in good shape and connected to your #2 carb?

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
                      The prime position lets the fuel flow unrestricted. The on position only lets the fuel flow when vacuum is applied to the petcock. You should have two lines coming off your petcock a larger fuel line and a smaller vacuum line. Is your vacuum line in good shape and connected to your #2 carb?
                      Aahaa! I was wondering where that little hose was supposed to run to! now... where exactly does it go on the number 2 carb and which is the number 2?

Comment

Aahaa! I was wondering where that little hose was supposed to run to! now... where exactly does it go on the number 2 carb and which is the number 2?
                        Second from the left, there's a little pipe on top, in front. It's only there on the #2 carb.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here's a link to Basscliff's site with pics of where the lines should go. The third pic from the top shows it the best.
                          http://members.dslextreme.com/users/storagecliff/images/hose_locations.html

Once you have the vacuum hose connected to the carb. You should be able to run your petcock on the 'on' position and the 'reserve' position.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks For all the help everyone... I'll get that line hooked up as soon as i get a chance, and i'll let you know how it turns out. thanks again

Comment

so i finally got that vacuum line hooked up and.... still wants to die when the petcock is turned to 'on'... is it ok to run the bike on 'pri' all the time? and what else could be the problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X