Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower a GS450

Hello everyone,

I've got a couple of classic hondas and a modern ducati, but I'm new to the GS world. I picked up a 1982 GS450E as a learner bike for a friend of mine. She's 5'1", and has to tip-toe the bike. What's the best way to lower the standover height?

I all ready adjusted the pre-load on the suspension. Are there different rear shocks? A lowering bracket/kit? A different seat to swap on? I'm a pretty good tinkerer, but not much of a fabricator, so I'd like bolt-on items if possible. Looking to get around another inch or so.

TYIA!

EDIT: Also, the bike was a $600 purchase. Not looking to put a fortune into a learner bike.

What's wrong with tip toeing?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      What's wrong with tip toeing?
      I'm short as well and had to tip-toe and I'll say that it doesn't instill a feeling of confidence when you are first starting out. Come to a stop at an off-camber road, go to put your feet down, and oops, the bike is on the ground. I can't tell you how many times I dropped the bike when I first started out. But it did teach me to read the road and haven't dropped the bike since.

With that said, You can buy lower rear shocks, and drop the fork tubes. Or the easy way is to get thick soled boots. That's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post

But it did teach me to read the road and haven't dropped the bike since.
        She has this bike to learn, right?

Comment

She has this bike to learn, right?
          True. Damn 10 characters

Comment

Maybe a 250 would have been a better choice for the first one.
            Got my wife a DR 200, it's light and short, and it's a hoot to ride.
            I've been on it the most of any of them lately.

Comment

I wasn't looking for a GS450 specifically - just looking for anything that was a small displacement and safe to ride without needing much work in the $500 range.

Couldn't do the dirtbike thing 'cos we both live in Boston - nowhere to ride it.

She took the msf training course over the weekend, so she got an initial feel for motorcycles then. She was on a 250 eliminator, which was much lower than the GS. She's 5'1 and about 110 lbs, so picking up the bike when she sets it down is even difficult for her.

The other (bigger) issue she's having with the GS is it's really difficult for her to pull in the clutch. It is a hard pull (a lot harder than any other clutch I've used). I'm hoping it's just that the clutch cable needs to be replaced. Otherwise, I might have GS450 up for sale or trade...

I just don't want her to loose her confidence and get discouraged and scared away from motorcycling.

Comment

Originally posted by zeede View Post
                I'm hoping it's just that the clutch cable needs to be replaced. Otherwise, I might have GS450 up for sale or trade...
                Yeah, probably the cable.
                How is it routed?

Comment

Yeah, probably the cable.
                  How is it routed?
                  Wow, you're quick.

It looks like what I would guess would be the factory routing... under the top of the left frame and down. I pulled the tank off the other day and it didn't look kinked or have any sharp bends.

Is there a way to test whether a cable needs to be replaced other than just the hard clutch pull?

My other fear is that there might be heavy duty springs in the clutch or some such thing. I'm just a shade tree mechanic... not sure if I'd wanna tackle changing the springs or just sell the bike and get something else.

Comment

Check for heavy springs, it is easy and they are useless.
                    The cables wear internally, a groove forms down the length of the outer cable on the side of the tube where the cable usually runs. This groove turns into a Vee, the cable sits in this Vee and won't slide very easily.

That bike should have a feather light clutch.

Comment

Check for heavy springs, it is easy and they are useless.
                      The cables wear internally, a groove forms down the length of the outer cable on the side of the tube where the cable usually runs. This groove turns into a Vee, the cable sits in this Vee and won't slide very easily.
                      The cable will still pull easily with no tension, but when it's connected to the clutch it pretty much binds up.
                      That bike should have a feather light clutch.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. For now I think she's good with some thinker-soled shoes and the pre-load on the suspension cranked down. The hard clutch pull is causing more of a problem though, so we're going to replace the clutch cable.

The problem is, I know it's a GS450E, but I don't know the next letter for the model designation. Can someone tell me exactly what model this bike is or, alternatively, what the part number for the clutch cable is?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. For now I think she's good with some thinker-soled shoes and the pre-load on the suspension cranked down. The hard clutch pull is causing more of a problem though, so we're going to replace the clutch cable.

The problem is, I know it's a GS450E, but I don't know the next letter for the model designation. Can someone tell me exactly what model this bike is or, alternatively, what the part number for the clutch cable is?

Thanks!

'82 would be a 'Z' see: http://thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm
                          My guess would be the cable would be the same for 80 - 82 GS450 E's and S's. *EDIT a quick search on BikeBandit confirms the cables are the same for the 80 and 82 E. Note the S is the same bike + gold wheels, bar-end mirrors, and a 1/4 fairing (and an 'S' decal ).
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450 View Post
                            '82 would be a 'Z' see: http://thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm
                            My guess would be the cable would be the same for 80 - 82 GS450 E's and S's. *EDIT a quick search on BikeBandit confirms the cables are the same for the 80 and 82 E. Note the S is the same bike + gold wheels, bar-end mirrors, and a 1/4 fairing (and an 'S' decal ).
                            Cool - so I'm looking for a clutch cable for a 1982 GS450 EZ? Sounds easy, pun intended

Comment

Cool - so I'm looking for a clutch cable for a 1982 GS450 EZ? Sounds easy, pun intended
                              Yeah, but most places would know what you need if you just said "1982 GS450E". Or at least they could look it up, no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X