How NOT to adjust your suspension!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How NOT to adjust your suspension!!

Well, I guess paint covers everything.......

Cracks in the adjuster lead to a complete blowout. Yes, I did this by hand. Oh, what the PO must have though when I rode away!

Anyone got a spare GS450 shock?

Scott

Were you adjusting it at the time it broke. If so, did you use the curved special tool or a screw driver? The fractures look pretty clean.. fresh-ish?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
      Were you adjusting it at the time it broke. If so, did you use the curved special tool or a screw driver? The fractures look pretty clean.. fresh-ish?
      Good point Colin. Look like it might have been kind of "glued on" with the paint and it fractured when you tried moving it. Mine moves really easy. How hard did you have to pry before it popped?

Rick

Comment

Oh yes...

The damage was all my doing. The paint had glued everything together. I was using a small piece of metal rod, instead of my "lost" shock tool and the first side broke. In fact, it was moving a bit, just under a lot of stress and friction. I was really surprised I could do this by hand.

Live and learn....

Scott

Comment

waterpump pliers are the way to go

Comment

I'm embarrassed to admit - I used a pair of channel locks (padded) 'cause I couldn't think of anything else, and it was pretty easy.
            Ken

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
              waterpump pliers are the way to go
              NO, they are NOT! The correct SHOCK TOOL is the way to go! Ray.

Comment

Actually

I tried channel locks and they wouldn't budge! Next time.....

Maybe we should start a thread that is titled "next time..." and we can all tell our stupid mistakes.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottychop View Post
                  The damage was all my doing. The paint had glued everything together. I was using a small piece of metal rod, instead of my "lost" shock tool and the first side broke. In fact, it was moving a bit, just under a lot of stress and friction. I was really surprised I could do this by hand.

Live and learn....

Scott
                  It was probably more about the paint than the tool. I have only ever used a posidrive screwdriver and never had any problem adjusting them. Bad luck. I shall remember not to paint shock collars.

Comment

Working...
                  X