Am I missing a spacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I missing a spacer?

I bought a 1980 gs550e not too long ago, and it runs and rides fine. However, I just noticed it looks like something could be missing from the front axle. I took pictures, if any seasoned expert can offer me some explanation as to how I'm right or, conversely, how I'm an idiot, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Looks fine to me. There's a spacer which goes in the fork bottom: you can see the little inner collar of it (almost looks like a washer right next to the fork). Then a spacer adjoins it and extends under that cup right up to the right front wheel bearing inner race. You can tell it's there because it's almost the same thickness as the front axle end. Since I just so happen to have my 82 GS550L front end disassembled, I'll attach a pic of the parts. Sorry how dark it is there's little light in the garage ATM and the flash would probably just make it worse.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. nasaldischarges,

I'm not familiar with that particular front wheel setup (those are 550L forks from the looks of it), but it looks OK to me too. As long as it rides straight and the calipers aren't binding, I guess you've got it right.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would look the diagram up on www.bikebandit.com
        Don't go by their part #s They use their own

Comment

Thanks for the help. I got the 550 as an upgrade from my Honda Rebel and I really didn't know much about the bike going in, just that it ran well and I got a decent price on it.

This forum seems like a well run community and I'll get reading through those mega-welcome links.

Comment

Heh. I didn't even notice that he said 550E in his post. Just went to the pic and saw "L". Definitely L forks on there. Since we can't see the rest of the bike I'm not sure if he has the model wrong or somebody just put L forks on an E.

On the spacer in the fork bottom I pulled it out a little bit so you can see more than just the inner collar. Should have mentioned that before; as installed that should be as far as possible into the fork.

I just popped new bearings into my wheel last night. It's a really good thing too because the old ones felt quite rough (yes, before I beat them out). New springs (correct size) are here and going to mount a tire tonight. Might get her back on the road this weekend!

Happy riding and enjoy your GS and this community, Mr. nasaldischarges.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            I'm not familiar with that particular front wheel setup (those are 550L forks from the looks of it), but it looks OK to me too.

Comment

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Choose 1980 and go to 550L and "front wheel".
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
              X