Crap ! Leaky fork seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap ! Leaky fork seal

And I think I see why.... That little sharp gouge just to the left of the flash reflection (about 7 o clock). Its already eaten two seals.

Ya think I could sand / buff that out ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Hi,

You might have to fill it with something before you sand/buff it smooth. JB weld? A friend of mine did that to his Goldwing forks to get rid of the pitting. It worked fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would use a flat, fine, single cut file. Ray.

Comment

Do as Ray said and try some Leak Proof Pro-Moly seals. They float more and I've had good luck with them.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

File is too coarse, I'd use a fine grade whetstone of some sort. Don't remove very much material, just smooth over the corners of the chip. Oh, and start looking for a new set of tubes.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            start looking for a new set of tubes.
            F !! Its my fault. I tried digging a seal out without disassembling the fork. All Balls dont list the Moly/Silicon seals for my bike. I got some S seals at the dealer. Guess Ill give it a shot. Thanks......
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Like Ray says, use a file (very fine). Finish off with some wet and dry (it'll take a lot of rubbing). You can fill with JB Weld or Liquid Steel - both work well but you must degrease like you've never degreased before!
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I use a large file with #220 emery taped to the face of the file and a bit of oil. All's you want to do is remove the raised rust pit, so the seal won't develop a nick.

BTW, I also religiously coat my fork shafts with some grease over the winter months to prevent rusting...
                Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  F !! Its my fault. I tried digging a seal out without disassembling the fork. All Balls dont list the Moly/Silicon seals for my bike. I got some S seals at the dealer. Guess Ill give it a shot. Thanks......

Incorrect, and destructive method ! (sorry to rub salt)

read this thread about the correct way to remove the seals/bushings, you can do it yourself !

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                    Incorrect, and destructive method ! (sorry to rub salt)
                    Thanks Rich . Really tho, thanks for the thread link. Ya got any more pics of the overhaul ? Im a bit cornfused by the bushing thingy you mention, and the steps for reassembly. Im assuming you disconnected the brake lines....

Ive got mine apart right now. Talk to me Clammy.....

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                    so the seal won't develop a nick.
                    By the way, that leaky seal looked perfect. Not a nick anywhere. ???
                    Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-08-2010, 12:24 PM.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                    X