Drilling brake Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling brake Discs

My GSX1100 (GS1150) needs new front discs I can buy brand new for about $350.00 each or I can get the fronts discs from a GS750 from the wreckers for $60.00 a pair. The only difference is the diameter of the mounting bolts mine are 10.5mm holes and the 750's are 8mm.

Now my question is has anyone ever succesfully drilled a brake disc and can they please impart their knowledge and wisdom to me.....

All imput greatly appricated..
    Mark

BTW the other bonus of the GS750 discs is that they are ventilated so I shouldnt suffer brake fade from heat...

Originally posted by taswegian View Post
    My GSX1100 (GS1150) needs new front discs I can buy brand new for about $350.00 each or I can get the fronts discs from a GS750 from the wreckers for $60.00 a pair. The only difference is the diameter of the mounting bolts mine are 10.5mm holes and the 750's are 8mm.

Now my question is has anyone ever succesfully drilled a brake disc and can they please impart their knowledge and wisdom to me.....

All imput greatly appricated..
    Mark

BTW the other bonus of the GS750 discs is that they are ventilated so I shouldnt suffer brake fade from heat...
    Take a better look at your holes. If they are like US model 1150s, they use a SHOULDER BOLT that is 10.5mm. The threads in the bottom will be the same as the rest of the GS.

i just fit a GS1150 rear wheel to my 1100E, using 1100E rotors, bolts and whatnot. Works like a dream....

Comment

diameter and offset play the biggest role.
      i dunt know fer shure

Comment

Ok I will be honest I have not yet pulled my discs off but I will pull a bolt this afternoon and check. I was going from the disc suppliers catalogue for the comparsion off spec....

Disc specs are the same almost the gs750 discs are 5mm in diameter smaller not an issue....

Cafe you are correct they are a shouldered m8 bolt so no mods required...... Thanks heaps

Mark
        Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2010, 01:23 AM. Reason: info addition

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          diameter and offset play the biggest role.
          i dunt know fer shure
          That's a good point too. The early 750s (77-79) used a couple different sized rotors. The 80-82 750 used ones like the 80-83 1100 and the 83-85 700/750 used a slightly smaller diameter than the 80-82. So you'd be best served to make sure they're the same diameter.

Comment

Working...
          X