Bought an 82 GS1100E parts bike today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought an 82 GS1100E parts bike today

I stumbled across an 82 GS1100E today I found on craigslist. The add said drag bike $500. so I drove 70 miles to check it out. Lost title, no keys, and he offered to call the police out to run the numbers when I asked if it was legit, and not stolen. I was most interested in the 83 model 140 MPH spedo, and the fairing. It has an aluminum tab welded on to the swing arm for wheelie bars. It also has an interesting handle bar arrangement I have never seen before. The seat is leather and low in thew front like a Corbin gunfighter. I thought about trying to chase down the title, I dont know. It will probably go into the garage with the other 3 110E's I am saving for a rainy day. I wound up paying $350 for it, not to bad. Every now and then craigslist comes through.

An 1100E, with an 1150ES fairing on it... See Terry.. I TOLD you you could do that

Comment

And it isn't an '82, which explains the '83 140 speedo. Pretty good deal, any way you slice it!
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        An 1100E, with an 1150ES fairing on it... See Terry.. I TOLD you you could do that
        never never said you can't
        not a simple bolt on but maybe a simple cobble job.
        uggg uggg ugly!
        don't like em much on 1150's but what do i know!
        anyways......
        SMOKIN DEAL!!!

Comment

Nice score.
          Hard to tell but looks like Koni shocks? What pipe is on the bike?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm not a fan of the 1150 fairing either but it IS a smokin deal!!! Ray.

Comment

Yellow, yes...I knew they would look good in yellow...

I'm thinkin' that is they way to go with my second set of body parts...

(But no faring or fancy graphics)
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I like it other than the stripes

Comment

Not a big fan of the yellow, but the fairing actually blends pretty well.

Comment

+1....especially with some trimming, as on Claude's beautiful 1100. One could bolt an ES fairing on to that '83 1100 too, as it has all the mounting bosses on the frame, but with the 1150 item you have the bonus of keeping the huge train light.
                    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Parts bike?
                      I'd be riding that one, ASAP.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Damn, I think rthat actually looks pretty slick. I have a WC fairing on my '82, but I have an immaculate 1150ES fairing like that in my attic. A few years ago, I thought of cutting it down to mount it like Claude's, but that actually looks like it belongs on the bike (I hate frame-mounted fairings, though, functionally).
                        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
                          I stumbled across an 82 GS1100E today I found on craigslist. The add said drag bike $500. so I drove 70 miles to check it out. Lost title, no keys, and he offered to call the police out to run the numbers when I asked if it was legit, and not stolen. I was most interested in the 83 model 140 MPH spedo, and the fairing. It has an aluminum tab welded on to the swing arm for wheelie bars. It also has an interesting handle bar arrangement I have never seen before. The seat is leather and low in thew front like a Corbin gunfighter. I thought about trying to chase down the title, I dont know. It will probably go into the garage with the other 3 110E's I am saving for a rainy day. I wound up paying $350 for it, not to bad. Every now and then craigslist comes through.
                          I called the guy back today to see if the title was even a remote possibility, and he told me the bike had a fairly fresh 1166 big bore kit, some mild cams, a billet basket, and a professionally ported head. It belonged to his son that totally lost interest in it, and let it sit for years in his garage. The fairing is installed with a factory looking tubular mount, and it isn't hobbled on from what I can see. I am real picky about funky looking mods, to me the fairing makes the bike, it looks good. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also the clip on bars, I didn't like them when I first saw them, but when I sat on in with the low leather seat, they felt good. Not long trip good, but hauling azz good. There is a short black bar with plastic end caps that looks professionally made bolted where the stock handlebars go. I would have just milled all that off if I was to go with the clipon bars. I cant tell what brand the header is it looks like a V&H maybe. There are even some gold plated parts like the rear brake and shifter levers and other pieces. This may look good an a black bike with other gold accents. All in all I am a happy camper today. I might take it to the dragstrip in the next few weeks to see what it does.

Comment

If you are in Texas, a title is very easy to get.
                            The key is about $15 at a locksmith.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              If you are in Texas, a title is very easy to get.
                              The key is about $15 at a locksmith.
                              Yep done it, about $150 give or take for a bonded title, it was fairly easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X