Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear axle nut socket size. 24mm for all models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear axle nut socket size. 24mm for all models?

Hey all. Hope you're all enjoying the great riding weather! (check local listings, YMMV)

I'm trying to verify that what I need is a 24mm socket to torque the rear axle nut down. As my sig says, I have a chain-driven 1980 GS550L.

What's more, I've flipped through my service manual (and have a PDF version of it for while I'm at work) and can't seem to find this information. Seems to me that it'd be helpful information for performing service. Aside from experience, how can I find this kind of information?

Originally posted by Taliesin View Post
    how can I find this kind of information?
    It should be in your on board factory tool kit.....
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thank you Dave. I thought the same, but the biggest wrench I have is WAY too small. The largest wrench I have is smaller than the spark plug wrench that came in it. Maybe the PO (or me) lost one of the wrenches.

Comment

Oh, and the reason I'm asking is that I don't have the right sized socket, and am going to go buy one at lunch today, I hope. Need to know what size to buy. Taking the nut off was no problem with a crescent-style wrench. I've tightened it back down a bunch, but would prefer to use the torque specs, since the mfg. gives them to us.

I also don't have the right-sized metric wrench, or I'd just trial-and-error it.

Thanx

Comment

Will probably be 24mm but also could be 22mm or 7/8". Why not pick up both? They are both useful sizes to have in the toolbox.....

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My 1100Gl is 24 mm. Maybe adjust your crescent wrench to fit and try to get an accurate measurement in inches of how wide the crescent is adjusted to and then measure across the opening of a 24mm socket and see if it seems the same. Probably 24mm is correct. I got a cheap set of adjustable wrenches from Harbor Freight that have a little scale on each side that tells you how far open you have the jaws. Kind of like a "poor man's" approximate calipers. Works well enough to identify the size of a nut or bolt head.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

My wife called from home while I was at work. I had her measure the diameter of the nut from side-to-side. 23.98mm using my cheapie Harbor Freight calipers. YAY!

Thanx for the answers, guys!

Comment

Working...
              X