How my GS1100GL broke yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How my GS1100GL broke yesterday

I know this is long I apologize in advance.
    Drove it to work in yesterday morning fine.
    Came out at 5pm to go home. Bike started fine - went down the ramps to get to the exit of the parking garage. At the exit there are 2 speed bumps when you go out. Got over the second one gave it some gas and the bike was just coasting - like the clutch was gone. No power to the back wheel at all.
    Coasted off the road played with the clutch adjustment but couldn't get any improvement. Trailered it home, took it to my mechanic this morning and told him the story. He started it up and put it in gear - same deal as last night. There was a noise coming from the drivetrain. I had heard it last night thought it was something in the clutch that had come loose. He listened, put his hand on the final gear cover and said - it's not the clutch it's the differential. The noise was in there, we could feel something knocking in there. I never even considered it wasn't the clutch.
    He's working up an estimate for me, so we'll see how this turns out.

So the question is - does anyone have any ideas what could have broken like this with no forewarning ? I mean I had no warning until I gave it the gas and it didn't speed up. I know the drivetrain was working going down the ramps because I was controlling my speed with the engine not with the brake, and there was no noises and it was driving normally.
    Ken
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2010, 08:21 PM.

You can usually get the whole final drive fairly cheaply, it's a do it your self thing with just a little wrenching ability.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's the spline unit in the rear wheel. A brand new one is around $100.

Search the forum for TONS of pics.

Take the rear wheel off and take a look.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        It's the spline unit in the rear wheel. A brand new one is around $100.

Search the forum for TONS of pics.

Take the rear wheel off and take a look.
        Yup! No brainer!
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sounds like the splines. Regardless of whether its the splines or the diff itself, dont pay someone to do it, its very easy to change. I pulled mine apart for the first time recently as a part of another repair and it took me about 15 minutes to get the rear wheel off and the differential off with nothing but simple hand tools.

Comment

Wow, Thanks guys. I'll do some research and take a look at it this weekend. Thanks for the help.
            Ken
            Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2010, 07:43 AM.

Comment

95% positive it would be the splines in the rear wheel. Don't take the diff apart until you have inspected the wheel VERY carefully - the splines are recessed (and usually covered in dirty grease) and when they strip only the rear portion of the spline rips out - the easiest-to-see portion still looks fine. You can remove the spline assembly from the wheel with a 10 or 12mm socket and a screwdriver to bend the lock-tabs. Super, super easy to do.
              I had 4 rear wheels here from parts bikes and checked all the spline sets. 1 was completely stripped, 1 was minutes away from stripping, and 2 were good. Apparently for certain years of manufacture, Suzuki made a mistake and instead of hardened steel they used a fine French cheese. Delicious, but not long lasting.
              And yes, I have had the splines strip years ago on my first GS1100G. One minute you have propulsion, next you don't.

Comment

Well, you guys were right. Took off the rear wheel and looked at the splines and they were in really bad shape. Part has been ordered. I will let you all know when I get it and get it back together.
                Thanks for all your help,
                Ken

Comment

Yes 50GS1100g was here picking up his new bike. Put new tires on it, examined the wheel spline too.. Would never had made it out of town

Comment

An update - I'm on the road again. Received the part yesterday. Got it on today, and it's working perfectly now. Thanks to all for your help.
                    Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KRyder13 View Post
                      An update - I'm on the road again. Received the part yesterday. Got it on today, and it's working perfectly now. Thanks to all for your help.
                      Ken
                      Now you're one step closer to GS nirvana as BassCliff would say.

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
                        Now you're one step closer to GS nirvana as BassCliff would say.
                        I'd say so - for the last week I felt like I was living in purgatory.
                        Ken

Comment

Working...
                        X