Plastic Parts Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Parts Washer

I just picked up this 5 1/2 gallon plastic parts washer at Harbor Freight. I initially wanted it because it was smaller and more mobile than the others that are built on stands.

After reading over the instructions/warnings it says not to use volatile solvents. I used the search function and came up with an older thread that suggested use a diluted Simple Green non-volatile solution or kerosene which obviously is volatile.

I also want to use it to wash whatever metals i can get in there. It almost sounds like you can only use it to wash plastic materials. Am I interpreting the instructions incorrectly?

Should i try the Simple green solution or bring back the washer and buy the metal parts washer and use whatever i want for a cleaning solvent?

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Simple Green works pretty good on metal parts. If you have parts with a LOT of grease on them just let them soak over night in a solution of 1/2 Simple Green & 1/2 water. Get some nylon & brass brushes for cleaning the parts. Ray.

Comment

Some people over on advrider.com are reporting excellent results using Pine-Sol as a parts washing solution. I haven't tried it myself, but I do have a big bottle of Pine-Sol awaiting the next filthy project.

Simple Green works great too, but I hate the "urinal cake" smell.

I've also used a gallon jug of WD-40 for small parts cleaning. It smells a LOT nicer than mineral spirits or kerosene, and it's plastic-friendly and much less volatile. Kinda expensive, though.

If you really need to use kerosene for something in particular, lamp oil is pretty much the same thing, but comes in handy quart bottles and a variety of soothing colors and scents.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Good ideas for cleaning solvents.

I just want to make sure i purchased the correct parts washer before i use it. I could bump up to the metal washer if i really needed to.

The instructions state there is an arc created by the pump so if there is any volatile solvents it might go "boom".

If everyone doesn't foresee any issues with this washer then i'll find out tomorrow when i try to clean a valve cover from the Kawasaki i'm putting back together today and tomorrow.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          but comes in handy quart bottles and a variety of soothing colors and scents.
          Back away from the romance novels & pot pouri!!! LOL!!! I couldn't resist!!! GOOD tip on the lamp oil! Ray.

Comment

Try this stuff..

I got a gallon at Costco..
            It REALLY works..

Simple green is good but when it comes to cutting oil and grease this stuff kicks it's butt.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              soothing colors and scents.
              Brian,
              I am still roflmao. Ride more; read less.
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                Try this stuff..

I got a gallon at Costco..
                It REALLY works..

Simple green is good but when it comes to cutting oil and grease this stuff kicks it's butt.
                I'll pick some up the next time i'm at Costco. Can't say that i've seen it there but i haven't looked for it either.

Thanks!
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike

Comment

Working...
                X