Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seal for cam chain tensioner rebuild, Mr. bwringer I need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seal for cam chain tensioner rebuild, Mr. bwringer I need your help!

I ordered all the seals, o-rings, gaskets and springs listed in Mr. bwringers tutorial to rebuild the cam chain tensioner on my 850. Now I have them all in hand and it's pretty obvious one of them does not look like it should even though the part number is the same as that shown on the rebuild notes.

Hmmm.

It's part #09284-10006. In the report it's shown as kind of a metal ring with ID=10mm OD=16mm, the picture shown is:

The one I have doesn't look like that but is the right dimensions and looks like this:

Now in the text, Mr. bwringer does mention that he got the wrong part, I wonder if the picture in the tutorial is of the wrong part rather than the right one?

Anyone know for sure? Mr. bwringer (or anyone else more educated than me) can you clarify for a dumbo before he tears his CCT apart to find he hasn't got the right bits to put it back together again
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

That's the same one I got last week. I thought it looked different than the picture. I haven't tried changing it yet. Just hoping it's the right one. If I get around to working on it I'll post.

Charlie G.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Look at the picture of the seal in step 8. looks the same as the one you received in the bag and the same as the one I have in my hand.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ah ha! Thanks Rusty. It looks like the beast.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Flip the seal in the parts bag over...

You have the right part. I guess the scan of the old seal might make it look like metal. I also increased the contrast to better read the lettering because I was trying to find a generic replacement that day instead of waiting for Suzuki to send one.

I usually keep a couple of sets of tensioner seals and tach fitting seals "in stock" in my garage. It's amazing how many bikes I encounter with these easy-to-fix leaks.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Cool, thanks chaps.

Old school's coming round here about 10am this morning to do his at the same time. Hopefully they won't take too long
            '82 GS1000SZ
            '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I agree with Brian, it is difficult to tell when you show the opposite side of the seal. Also, when my bike was in the bwringer supergarage for some other issue, it became a victim of the cam chain tensioner rebuild. Which led to the useage of the bwringer Toyota lend-lease program, but that is another story...

Comment

Done!

Easy peasy
                '82 GS1000SZ
                '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I got mine done too. No more oil drip. Thanks!
                  Charlie G
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Where can I find this rebuild tutorial? My cam chain tensioner is leaking, didn't know they could be rebuilt.....

Comment

In The garage, Basscliff's site, Mr.Bwinger's fine tutorials, or here...... http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html

I'm sure this tutorial has saved me $160.00 and countless oil drip clean ups. Make sure you put lock tite and a lock washer on the nut that holds the knurled knob on. Easy job if you can work around the carbs. Good luck.

Charlie G
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Wonderful! Thanks so much; I'd just discovered that the cam chain tensioner was leaking. Will be doing this soon!

Comment

Yep, easy job but don't forget some blue loctite on the retainer nut like Charlie says. Disaster is just around the corner if that nut comes off !
                          '82 GS1000SZ
                          '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by wallowgreen View Post
                            yep, easy job but don't forget some blue loctite on the retainer nut like charlie says. Disaster is just around the corner if that nut comes off !
                            +1,000,000,000,000
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                            X