Finally got my 1100EX road worthy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got my 1100EX road worthy...

This isn't a restoration - it a rescue. 1981 GS110E in very poor shape when I picked her up last Summer. She's getting there, just today I was able to take her out for a shake down cruise...

I'll elaborate tomorrow - I'm just happy she alive!!

'85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

another pic
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

one more...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Looking sharp! If you set up a Photobucket account for yourself, you can post bigger pictures. And up to ten at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
          Looking sharp! If you set up a Photobucket account for yourself, you can post bigger pictures. And up to ten at a time!
          Thanks - it's nothing fantastic, but I've been tinkering with this "non-runner" for a while. Repaired/replaced a lot of stuff, but now at least I can ride her.

I can tell you, I opened up the throttle in 2nd rolling thru a stop sign & I nearly flew off the ass end!!

Still need to dial in the carbs, running pods, 4-1, & stage 3 jet kit. Pulls like the proverbial "freight train" in the power band! I have the needles on the 3rd clip position & I was wondering if raising them 1 notch would give me better pop at the lower/mid (3K-5K) RPM's?

Still breaking in new rings as well, so I'm just riding her for the moment to let her settle in - I have NO HISTORY on this one, except the PO sure liked RED !!

It's raining here today & I'm still tinkering, but I'll try to post a bunch-o-pics & list all the stuff I've spent my time & money on .

Mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Looking good Mike. Use lots of throttle to set those rings...just make sure you're clear of obstacles and police.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              This isn't a restoration - it a rescue. 1981 GS110E in very poor shape when I picked her up last Summer. She's getting there, just today I was able to take her out for a shake down cruise...
              She's coming along very nicely, Mike. I have an '80 1100E and she's currently going through a similar "rescue". We're close to one another, might be great to have them both together in a pic for the Forum :-)

Comment

Thanks - it's nothing fantastic, but I've been tinkering with this "non-runner" for a while. Repaired/replaced a lot of stuff, but now at least I can ride her.

I can tell you, I opened up the throttle in 2nd rolling thru a stop sign & I nearly flew off the ass end!!

Still need to dial in the carbs, running pods, 4-1, & stage 3 jet kit. Pulls like the proverbial "freight train" in the power band! I have the needles on the 3rd clip position & I was wondering if raising them 1 notch would give me better pop at the lower/mid (3K-5K) RPM's?

Still breaking in new rings as well, so I'm just riding her for the moment to let her settle in - I have NO HISTORY on this one, except the PO sure liked RED !!

It's raining here today & I'm still tinkering, but I'll try to post a bunch-o-pics & list all the stuff I've spent my time & money on .

Mike
                Are you running Dynijet Stage III with the 132.5's or 137.5's? Bill likes to go 137.5's with basically stock pods/4:1

Looks like you saved here pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Are you running Dynijet Stage III with the 132.5's or 137.5's? Bill likes to go 137.5's with basically stock pods/4:1

Per Bill's recomendation I am using the 138 DJ mains...
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Jim, or Bill for that matter, I've been meaning to ask you guys. When you say 132.5 or 137.5 with a dynojet kit, it's a bit confusing, because niether of those jets come in a dynojet kit for an 1100E. They'll either be DJ 132 or DJ138. They don't measurethe same way so there are no half sizes. Or are you talking about using MIKUNi jets with the DJ needles because 137.5 mikuni is friggin HUGE on a stocker motor.? I'm just askin to clarify for other people. I am runing DJ138 pods and the yosh on 36SS carbs and it works very very well. Am I missing somethng?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Jim, or Bill for that matter, I've been meaning to ask you guys. When you say 132.5 or 137.5 with a dynojet kit, it's a bit confusing, because niether of those jets come in a dynojet kit for an 1100E. They'll either be DJ 132 or DJ138. They don't measurethe same way so there are no half sizes. Or are you talking about using MIKUNi jets with the DJ needles because 137.5 mikuni is friggin HUGE on a stocker motor.? I'm just askin to clarify for other people. I am runing DJ138 pods and the yosh on 36SS carbs and it works very very well. Am I missing somethng?
                      No Ur not missing nuting. 138's Dynojets are the big Stage III's. I guess I've gotten away from the Dynojet numbers.

However on my ED I'm running 147.5 Mikuni's on BS36SS and will probably be moving up a tad with the BST36SS (GSXR750 slingshots).

1166, Terry head and 340's contributing to that.

Comment

Well, I didn't get any new pics, but put around 75 mi on the bike today after it stopped raining. I hadn't adjusted or synced the carbs since before the cylinder hone & rings, oil stem seals & a good head cleaning to remove all the carbon.

I initially cleaned & rebuilt the carbs & started the bike to hear it at least run. Actually sounded good - synced/adjusteed carbs & drained the bowls & removed them.

Gotta love pods - slapped the carbs back on after the clean up & it started in about 2 secs. Rode a few miles with that set-up & noticed the low end transition from idle was stumbling & listless. I said earlier I thought the needles may have to go up, but all I did was re-adjust the mixture screws & she smoothed out significantly and the stumble was replaced with almost instant throttle response from idle.

Very nice - so.... for the rest of the afternoon (not much left really) I tried to ride around my little hic town like an outlaw - saw the same cop 3 times in 3 places - it was very rewarding.

Had one issue though - blew the headlight/blinker fuse & kinda had to beat feet home as it was nearing sunset (I don't like to be invisible)

The same thing happened in my shed previously also, I've gone through the harness & fixed up all the bad spots & didn't see any wire chaffing or the like.

So I have to keep an eye on this glitch... maybe a bad fuse? They were ancient.
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I run the needle on the second from the bottom and shim it one washer to make it 2.5 from the bottom. Just add another washer over the clip.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Bill,

I'm going to sync the carbs later this Mama's day, but I think the needles are good for now.

What kind of difference did you see/feel by droping them a half notch?
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Hey Bill,

I'm going to sync the carbs later this Mama's day, but I think the needles are good for now.

What kind of difference did you see/feel by droping them a half notch?
                              I actually raised them a half a notch. Better power and tanner plugs.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X