Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100e fork seal assembly ques

The fork won't go back together.

I have changed the fork seals on my 82 Katana in the past with out any problems and I have both a factory and a Clymer manual.

Refering to the factory manual assembly diagram...(front damper)

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

1. I assemble the damper rod, spring and washers (7,8 17, 18) and insert into the upper tube until the end of the rod pokes out the end of the tube.

2. I put the oil lock piece in place (19).

3. I then slide the upper tube into the lower tube.

The problem: The end of the damper rod that connects to the damper rod bolt (31) does not reach. The whole assebly stops just short but I cannot find the interference.

Have you run into this?

Thanks.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Back to garage for a fresh look.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

I had something similar happen when I was doing the forks on my 82 1100E. Turned out that I had put the oil lock piece on backwards. On the other fork, I installed the wave washers and the flat washer on the wrong side of the oil lock piece, and had similar problems with getting the bolt to take.

Comment

Thanks.

I was just coming up from the garage to say I had to install the washers (17,18) after the damper rod was inserted in the tube all the way and before the oil lock piece.

Just for the record I used a 3/8 drive spark plug socket installed backwards at the end of a few extensions to hols the damper rod when loosening the damper rod bolt.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
          Thanks. Just for the record I used a 3/8 drive spark plug socket installed backwards at the end of a few extensions to hols the damper rod when loosening the damper rod bolt.
          Those spark-plug/extension tools are handy for sure... I use it for tightening too. Gotta anchor the rachet handle on the floor with your feet (at least i do)
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            Those spark-plug/extension tools are handy for sure... I use it for tightening too. Gotta anchor the rachet handle on the floor with your feet (at least i do)
            Dont work with a snap-on socket . I just did it this morning with a broomstick. The big end of the oil lock goes down and the 3 washers recess into it.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If you haven't gotten this together yet, call me at 714-356-7845 & I will help you. Ray.

Comment

I got both forks reassembled last night. I just need to re-install them on the bike. Thanks Ray.
                1982 GS1000S Katana
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X