Failure to launch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure to launch!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/spyug/WB2.jpg The mostly completed Kat project. Finished up today so I figured it was ready for the inaugural round the block road test. Well as the title implies it was a bust, unless you consider 4 or 5 circuits of my court in 1 st gear a succcessful road test.

It wouldn't come out of first gear. Back when I was putting the linkage on ( a few months ago)I suspected the tranny was junked as it wouldn't shift by hand either. some of the fellows pointed out the the transmission needs to be turning to shift and by moving the back wheel it did seem to go up and down....but not today. I could not get it back into neutral or into any gear other than 1st when it was moving. When stopped and engine off I could lever it up by hand again but never by foot...clutch in or out...engine on or off.

The linkage is sloppy and I don't think that's helping. Having no experience of bad transmissions and never seeing a linkage up close I don't know how to diagnose whats going on.

To recap, when on the lift with engine off and back wheel turning i can shift up and down. I also noted that the neutral light stays on when the bike is in gear. I put that down to a faulty switch but I wonder now if that tells me anything.

As always, I appreciate all input.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Have you messed with the clutch lever adjustment??

Comment

?

Maybe the shift drum. The slots don't go all the way around so when you have it turing, it has no where to go.
      Maybe some pictures?
      G
      sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
      2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
      Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
      '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Remove the countershaft sprocket cover, remove the gear shift sensor that is held on with 2 phillips head screws. Don't lose the oring on it or the pin that touches the sensor that is sticking out of the shift drum. The pin has a small spring behind it & it sounds like they could be missing already since the neutral light stays on. With these items off, try shifting the bike & watching the end of the shift drum to see if it is rotating. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you need help. I KNOW you are in Canada but it isn't THAT expensive to call! LOL!! Ray.

Comment

Well I finally worked up enough courage to look at the problem(s) last night. As soon as I had removed the side cover I saw the answer to one problem...the constant neutral light. The wire from the sender had gotten pinched and the insulation cut. It was grounding against the case. Fixed that in 30 seconds...whew!

With the linkage off and the light working, I was able tomove the shift rod quite easily with a set of vice grips and it did cycle through the gears. I left the cover off and repositioned the linkage and once back in position it seemed to shift correctly.

I didn't get an opportunity to test it last night but will tonight ( if the weather co-operates).

Fingers crossed that it does work 'cause I really don't want to have to rip into that tranny.

Cheers,
          Spyug.

Comment

Good luck man. Your bike is looking really good. Can't wait for the video!

Comment

Working...
            X