drag bike air shifter malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drag bike air shifter malfunction

my air over air shifter is f-in up the gs1000 drag bike it wont shift at high rpms but shifts fine at low rpms ? hey ray any help would be appreciated
    lol

ant

What kind of air pressure are you running in the shifter? Ray.

Comment

Are your gears cut for auto-shift?
      If not, how long is your ignition delay? If you are at the bare minimum, I'd try bumping it up a bit.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have 130 lbs of pressure in the air tank ( the kind you have to fill every pass ) it is the old school air over air. would i have to shorten or lengthen the air hose to adjust kill time time The motor was built for the street so trans was not cut >

thanks ant

Comment

"auto cut" is a different thing.
          back cut would be nice but not needed if the tranny is in good condition.
          will your bike make the 1-2 shift wide open under a load?
          does the problem happen in the higher gears only?
          is your bike spinning the tire any?

Comment

Did this just start giving you problems? I mean did it work before and now doesn't?

Comment

What Terry & Bob BOTH asked! If it is spinning the tire it will not like to shift because the trans isn't loaded the way it needs to be for the shifter to work well. Also, think about getting the kit from Pingel to convert to electric over air. It will work much better & be WAAAYYY more consistent. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Also, think about getting the kit from Pingel to convert to electric over air. It will work much better & be WAAAYYY more consistent. Ray.
                Ray is right...I ran air over air for four years and switched to electric over air...
                That plus adding a Dyna shift counter to control my ignition kill and I was much happier...

I always had trouble with the air operated ignition kill...

Comment

this year we took off the slick and bar and went to a street tire the tire spins way more than the slick and is also much shorter. if i try to shift when its spinning it hits neutral and under high rpms I have to hit the button many times I will look into the new kit P.S. the first week the bike did its best number ever 6.233 in the 1/8

thanks ant
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

i think you answered your own question.
                    an air shifter will work 50-50 if you have tire spin.

Comment

Anthony, Is it just the 1-2 shift or all gear changes? Does it shift if you rock the throttle as you punch the button? If it does, it's possibile that the line is too long and the shifter is trying to shift before the air kill comes on to unload the trans. I've a problem like this way back when. Mike Murdock had me shorten the air kill line and drill out the fitting into the cylinder to allow the air to fill the cylinder faster (less restriction) and that corrected the problem.

Comment

BTW, bike looks good. Really like the swing arm extentions

Comment

the bike has problems shifting in all gears but hits neutral going from first to second also it has a new clutch at the start of this year with heaver springs
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
                            Anthony, Is it just the 1-2 shift or all gear changes? Does it shift if you rock the throttle as you punch the button? If it does, it's possibile that the line is too long and the shifter is trying to shift before the air kill comes on to unload the trans. I've a problem like this way back when. Mike Murdock had me shorten the air kill line and drill out the fitting into the cylinder to allow the air to fill the cylinder faster (less restriction) and that corrected the problem.

Did you drill into the air ram or the kill cylinder and how much did you cut off the line ? and thanks

Comment

Anthony, if it goes into neutral on the 1-2 shift do you have the ram adjusted correctly? It needs to be just OVER center of the ram to have the correct shift distance. Call me tomorrow at 714-356-7845 & I will help you sort this out. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X