Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700 Tire Sizes (Options)

I am purchasing new tires for my GS700ES. These will be Metzler Lasertec's

The manual calls for 100/90/16 on the front and 120/90/17 on the back.

I currently have 100/90 on the front and 130/90 on the back.

I am considering upping the front to 110/90.

I own both a full owners manual AND a full shop manual. It is interesting to note that the owners manual in print has the front tire size at 110/90 but it is crossed out and handwritten next to it is 100/90. All other information I can locate (shop manual, on-line, dealership) has the front tire at 100/90 but it looks like a 110/90 would fit.

Anyone have experience or suggestion or comment on this?

Nevermind --- !!

I found my answer through some intensive archive searching. I am apparently good to go with the 130/90 rear tire but it is recommended I stay with the 100/90 front.

Thanks to all who read my posting.

Comment

Hi,

Ha! I was doing some research too.

I concur with your decision. If you put the 110 tire on the front you may notice a little slower steering. But don't go any wider than 130 on the back.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

a 110 front and a 130 rear will work, I actually like the 110 on the front.

Comment

I have a 110 front, 130 rear on my GS750ES which is basically the same bike. No problems and the steering is fine, I've had no problems going from peg to peg.

/\/\ac

Comment

110 will be okay, 120 it will handle like poo.....
            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

I concur with your decision. If you put the 110 tire on the front you may notice a little slower steering. But don't go any wider than 130 on the back.

BassCliff
              <Ha Ha> Cliff -- the research I found that recommended staying with the 100/90on the front was YOURS!!

I already have a 100/90 on order and hope they can switch it up to a 110/90. If not i will stick with the 110.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice !!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

BassCliff
                Did a search and found this thread...TTT with it!

So, a 130 90 17 will fit on the rear with NO modifications? Based on this thread, it appears so. On my bike, the stock 120 is tight to the chain guard so I'm having doubts! I have a brand new 130 and would like to use it instead of buying a new 120.
                Does the rim width matter? I have another newish 130 on a 3.5 GS1150 rim. Tire looks pretty fat compared to the 120 on the stock 2.75 700 rim.

Thank you

Comment

you did see that this is a 2 year old thread.....I am sure the info is still good, just saying....it's an old thread....

I just put new tires on my bike and went up one size on the front and rear

110/90/16 front and 130/90/17 for the rear and no clearance issues at all

I cannot comment on handling as of yet, as I have not been out on the road to try them out..

Comment

Sure...2 y/o thread...27 y/o bike! ..I did a search for my question is all. I get irritated with the same questions being asked over and over and over again in "NEW" threads. Just me. This is the one I found, close to the info I needed so I just added to it.

Thank you Gatekeeper for the confirmation on my rear tire clearance question. I just don't want to pay to have the tire mounted to find I need to have it removed!

Your bike looks good btw!
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

You will find that different brands of tires have different widths independant of the 120 or 130. I had an Avon on the back it was a 120/80 and the tire barely cleared the chain guard.
                      Currently have a 130 ContiGO on the back and it is about 5mm from each side. When it is hot the tire is pretty close to the chain guard 3mm or 2mm.
                      A Cheng shin 130 actually rubbed the chain guard most of the time.
                      It might pay to see what other people have mounted to find out the clearances.

Comment

My bike came from the previous owner with a very old 130/90 17 that had about 5-7mm clearance on each side, so I figured I should keep that sized when ordering new tires instead of getting 140's.
                        I bought Kenda Challengers and installed them and wouldn't you know it, 11-13mm clearance on each side. I could have gone wider.

Either way though I'm very happy with the tires over the old ones, way different handling, they are good in water and gravel (which I avoided like the plague with the old ones) and they didn't cost too much.

So like others have said, really depends on the brand I suppose.

Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                          You will find that different brands of tires have different widths independent of the 120 or 130.
                          Currently have a 130 ContiGO on the back and it is about 5mm from each side. When it is hot the tire is pretty close to the chain guard 3mm or 2mm.
                          A Cheng shin 130 actually rubbed the chain guard most of the time.
                          It might pay to see what other people have mounted to find out the clearances.
                          Great info thank you...I have a Metzler mounted on a 3.5 rim and it looks huge compared to the 120 Bridgestone existing. I only have??3/8 inch between the chain guard as is, stock tire. And..of course, the replacement new tire I have IS a Cheng-Shin....I'm back to worrying . I don't want to trash the guard, the bike is really nice.

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                          My bike came from the previous owner with a very old 130/90 17 that had about 5-7mm clearance on each side, so I figured I should keep that sized when ordering new tires instead of getting 140's.
                          I bought Kenda Challengers and installed them and wouldn't you know it, 11-13mm clearance on each side. I could have gone wider.

So like others have said, really depends on the brand I suppose.

Tank
                          Thanks for the input!
                          Do you have an 83-5 GS750/700? IDK if this applies to the older bikes? (in your sig)

Comment

Working...
                          X