Will Honda VTR1000 shock fit GS1150EFE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Honda VTR1000 shock fit GS1150EFE

Hi all. I have found a shock that looks like it will fit my GS1150EFE. The shock is off a VTR1000 and is 345mm eye to eye with 23mm bushes that take 10mm bolts. It seems that the shock is 15mm longer than the OEM shock which may raise the rear of the bike a bit. but as I'm 130kg I expect that it will settle down to an ok height when I am sitting on it.

Does anyone have any observations re the proposed swap that I should know about?

Cheers

Colin

As far as will it fit... pull the old one out and try doesnt take long. Something to bear in mind is that the gs1150 shock has remote adjustment and the vtr doesnt also the weight factor and I dont mean yours. You will probably find that the vtr has a lighter kerb weight than the gs and hence possibly a lighter rated spring.

The bottom line is try it take photos and let us all know the outcome...

Cheers
    mark

Comment

I think you might struggle to get the longer shock in there unless the rear end is in pieces..... Ducati monster 900 from around 98 works and would appear to be a better shock than that one from the pics. Spring was too heavy for me on my 750 but with your extra weight and extrackerb weight of 1150 should be somewhere close at min preload.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cheers guys, I have to buy before I try.. (hence the thread)

The monster 900 shocks just aren't coming up locally (and this is) and as my last ebay purchase took close to 6 months to arrive (and was partly defective) and given that shipping cost is usually more than the value of the product, sending goods back is like sending good money after bad as most sellers consider the cost of shipping is the buyers problem.

Buying locally is a rip off. That shock is $350 and he can't even tell me how old it is or the mileage of the bike it came off.

I'm starting to think it is a better bet to just bite the $ bullet and order an after market shock... If only I could figure out how to select the correct shocks with the online suppliers (why can't they set up their order forms to make the selection by bike model and spring rating... Skinny, fat, and obese). I guess I'll have to email them and give them all the info and hope they make the right selection.

Comment

Colin - one thing which is not obvious is that Honda frequently uses a different motion ratio to anyone else. This means if for instance Honda's ratio on the VTR is 4:1 vs what I remember the GSX's to be 3:1 then not just the spring rate but the damping will be way out too.

How well do you know the Ohlins man - Taylor? - he should have the details of the spring rates for both bikes and if approached nicely may tell you if the VTR shock is suitable

Koni used to list a replacement monoshock for these - tried Ikon for a price ?

Greg T

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            Colin - one thing which is not obvious is that Honda frequently uses a different motion ratio to anyone else. This means if for instance Honda's ratio on the VTR is 4:1 vs what I remember the GSX's to be 3:1 then not just the spring rate but the damping will be way out too.

How well do you know the Ohlins man - Taylor? - he should have the details of the spring rates for both bikes and if approached nicely may tell you if the VTR shock is suitable

Koni used to list a replacement monoshock for these - tried Ikon for a price ?

Greg T
            Cheers for the heads up o the ratio difference. Have managed to find a few alternatives incl A Hagon monoshock and a pair of progressive fork springs for approx NZ$1300-1400. A YSS Gas monoshock for somewhere between $900 & $1200. Can't find anything for the 1135 at the Ikon site http://www.ikonsuspension.com/conten...lication.shtml

Yes, I should talk to that Taylor chap (Chris I think)

Comment

Working...
            X