Forks feel "Springy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks feel "Springy"

Hi, I have a 1980 Gs1000, just bought it runs fine (except for an air leak at the airbox, parts should be here friday). The problem I have is the front forks feel soft and springy, nothydraulic. I have a lot of loose springy feel but none of the tight hydraulic feel. They feel like a pogo stick. Does this make any sense? I rebuilt the forks with new seals, have plenty of oil in them, even went to a higher viscosity oil, still no luck. Im thinking there is a seal I missed or the bushing on the dampning shaft is bad. They are holding 12 pounds of air pressure
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    Steve

BTW BikeCliff, I love your sight
    Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2010, 08:24 PM.

Probably should have put some progressive springs in there while you had it apart..

Comment

Hrmm I feel pretty sure Cliff loves being able to see too. Heh. Have you tried running less air ??

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. gssteve,

I would also recommend some Progressive springs. The other alternative is Sonic Fork Springs. Then you shouldn't have to use any air. But for now, how long are your spacers?

OK, even though you've seen my site, you get a "mega-welcome" anyway.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ive tried less air, more air, spacers to tighten the springs. Im thinking that there is something wrong with the dampner, as if there is no oil going thru the itty bitty wholes. I finally figured out the proper terms, hopefully this helps, there is no Compression Dampning, nor is there any Rebound Dampning.

Thanks for anything that you can think of
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by gssteve View Post

as if there is no oil going thru the itty bitty wholes. I finally figured out the proper terms,
            Are you sure there are no pieces missing off the damper rods?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the dampner rod looks just like it does in the service manual.

Comment

gs1000e 1980 ..no air...

hi guys ,,,i recently redid my forks thanks with helpfull advice from you guys.... progresive springs...throw the old springs down the street.. fork oil del ray 10wt oil and NO AIR ,,, it handles like a treat regards david

Comment

Is the plastic "piston ring" still in place on the damper rods, as well as the "lock piece" (you know, that sorta cone-shaped aluminum widget) at the bottom of the damper rod?

The only other thing I can think of is that someone drilled the damper rod to install cartridge emulators, then removed the emulators. But that's pretty far-fetched. Or maybe the lower bushing ("slide metal") is missing, but you would have mentioned it if the forks felt that sloppy.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X