Double discs-what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double discs-what am I doing wrong?

I am setting up a 78 GS1000 with double discs. The bike formerly had the large single disc on the left side of spoked wheels. Now I have cast wheels, and original double discs and calipers from a 78, and new forks with double disc mountings. I notice that when both calipers are installed, the tire will not clear the calipers when I want to take it off.

The new forks are E models, with mountings for double discs. The fork lowers are slightly shorter than the original 78 legs. The triple tree is the original one which came with the single disc forks.

The calipers align with the discs, and work. The fender prevents me from rotating the fork legs to allow the calipers to clear the tire. Duh.

Everything is stock for a 78 bike. No other discs will work anyway, as they don't align with the pads. Have I used the wrong triple tree?What have I overlooked?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM.

Originally posted by MAC10 View Post
    I am setting up a 78 GS1000 with double discs. The bike formerly had the large single disc on the left side of spoked wheels. Now I have cast wheels, and original double discs and calipers from a 78, and new forks with double disc mountings. I notice that when both calipers are installed, the wheel will not clear the forks when I want to take it off.

The new forks are E models, with mountings for double discs. The fork lowers are slightly shorter than the original 78 legs. The triple tree is the original one which came with the single disc forks.

The calipers align with the discs, and work. The fender prevents me from rotating the fork legs to allow the calipers to clear the tire. Duh.

Everything is stock for a 78 bike. No other discs will work anyway, as they don't align with the pads. What have I overlooked?
    Take a pic, sos i can see. I just did this on a 750. Had no problems. You're not trying to use two of the large singe discs are you? That wont work..

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer. I am using two of the smaller diameter discs intended for a 78 double disc setup. The calipers are original to 78 double disc set. The single disc set up has the caliper in a higher position. The discs and calipers mate perfectly. The only issue is the tire won't clear the calipers to remove the wheel.

Can't post a pic yet. I will do so as soon as I can, tomorrow.

Comment

Aren't you supposed to remove the calipers when removing the wheel. Otherwise you'll run into the problem of the tire not clearing the calipers. Or am I misunderstanding what you problem is?

Comment

That might answer my question. I have never had a bike with double discs. Does one normally remove a caliper or two to get the front wheel off?

If I am this naive, please forgive me. I am known as a technopeasant. That is one reason I like ancient Bikes.

Comment

That might answer my question. I have never had a bike with double discs. Does one normally remove a caliper or two to get the front wheel off?

If I am this naive, please forgive me. I am known as a technopeasant. That is one reason I like ancient Bikes.
            Well the manual for my bike says to, and for my other non-suzuki bike it says the same. I've tried to cut corners and not remove them but then...you know the rest.

Comment

Thank you Theo. I can live with removing one caliper, or maybe both, when I need to drop the wheel. They even use the same size nuts, so nothing lost but a couple of minutes

I don't feel so dumb now.

Comment

Thank you Theo. I can live with removing one caliper, or maybe both, when I need to drop the wheel. They even use the same size nuts, so nothing lost but a couple of minutes

I don't feel so dumb now.
                No problem, just use some bungee cords or tape to support the calipers when you remove them from the forks. BassCliff put a picture of this when he was working on the bike in his rebuild thread. I'll try and find it.

Comment

Can it be done with the spoke wheel? does the black cover come off the other side of the wheel? I bought a 79 front forks, and brake system - master,discs,lines for my 78 - 1000, but want to keep the spoked rims..

Comment

Originally posted by will61310 View Post
                    Can it be done with the spoke wheel? does the black cover come off the other side of the wheel? I bought a 79 front forks, and brake system - master,discs,lines for my 78 - 1000, but want to keep the spoked rims..
                    Yes and yes.

Comment

If you put it on a bike Jack you don't have to remove anything. Not even the axle bolt just take the caps off the end of the forks and out she'll drop. You'll have to disconnect the speedo cable.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Theo
                        No problem, just use some bungee cords or tape to support the calipers when you remove them from the forks. BassCliff put a picture of this when he was working on the bike in his rebuild thread. I'll try and find it.
                        Do you mean these?

Make sure your axle spacers are aligned properly. I had problems with a brake rotor hanging up in the caliper until I realized that I had a spacer backwards. Or did I have the left one and right one reversed? I don't remember. Just make sure you reassemble properly. Check a parts fiche to be sure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Do you mean these?
                          Yup those are the ones.
                          Thanks,
                          Theo

Comment

Thanks BassCliff, and Theo. The photos help a lot. Very cunning installation of bungees.

On my 78 model, I could not get the slotted discs in your photo to work because they would not align the pads with the braking surface of the discs. I had to use older unslotted discs to get the alignment. Is that caused because the slotted discs in your photo come from a 1980 or later model and don't work with earlier forks?

Comment

just remove one of the calipers. Easy-peasy. And TCK... if the calipers won't allow the tire and rim to slide out, (as it won't on my 850) you can't just pull the caps and have it slide out. The calipers will still hold it. That works on a single caliper though.

Comment

Working...
                              X