Tips for preparing for a "long" trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for preparing for a "long" trip?

I've been invited to ride to Myrtle Beach this friday, about a 50 mile one way trip. It'll be the first long ride (more than a couple miles) the bike has had. I've been working on fixing oil leaks lately! I would like to try and tune the carbs some more before I go (due to it not wanting to stay running at idle and running lean on #2 cylinder, exhaust is turning blue). Any tips or things I should look over on the bike before friday? I'm nervous about taking it this far and was hoping you gs gurus could provide some insight!

Additional info:
    Valves clearances have been checked
    Carbs have been cleaned
    Front/back brakes have been repaired
    electrical has been gone over
    new tires put on
    new V&H exhaust put on

Most would consider 100 miles a short trip.. It sounds like you have it covered except the carbs, Did you replace the intake O rings?
    What is the idle RPM 1200 is good
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Yeah, no doubt 100 miles is short for most! That's why I put it in quotes. But for this bike it'll be a long one because it'll be the most its been ridden in 3 years!! Yep, intake o-rings have been changed along with "most" everything else! My wife jokes that its a NEW 1979 GS1000! I'm sure some gremlin will show its face. I didn't say everything that's been done to it, its on another post. I guess I should've put this on that one instead of starting a new post!
      I guess what I'm looking for is what to check and look at before a long shakedown ride, which is really what this will be. Probably not a good idea to go that far, but I really want to see what she'll do!
      How do you recommend me tuning the #2 carb, because of the blueing? Thanks!!

Comment

Steve posted in another thread a good way to 'shake down' the bike. To paraphrase, he said to start off 2 blocks away from your house and go in a circle always maintaining a radius of 2 blocks. That way if anything happens, you are only 2 blocks away from home! If the bike is still working, increase the radius to 5 blocks and so on. You'll be putting some miles on the bike yet you will never be too far away from home. I hope I got that right.

Comment

Cell phone? CHECK!
          Debit card? CHECK!

Let's roll!
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            Cell phone? CHECK!
            Debit card? CHECK!

Let's roll!

That's what my buddies are telling me, but their not the ones putting the blood, sweat, and tears into this project! I have visions of it sitting by the side of the road all by its lonesome!! Aw Hell, lets do it!!!

Comment

I would fix the lean cylinder before riding it far/hard.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                I would fix the lean cylinder before riding it far/hard.
                can you point me in the right direction?

Comment

Float height wrong, some passage in the carb blocked, a jet clogged, could even be an air leak. Take it apart and find out.

Running lean can be expensive.

Comment

Float height wrong, some passage in the carb blocked, a jet clogged, could even be an air leak. Take it apart and find out.

Running lean can be expensive.
                    #2...could be the petcock vacuum port??

Comment

Thanks! I'm not really sure which direction to go. I've been searching about it on here and wondering if I have to sync them again or clean them again. They just got dipped and rebuilt two weeks ago! From what I've been reading an air leak might be the culprit. Is it true that running lean can burn up a piston ie (running lean can be expensive.)?

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        #2...could be the petcock vacuum port??
                        The hose is connected. what else on the vacuum port should I check, you think that it might have a hole in the line?

Comment

No, the vacuum port is on #3, these are VM carbs.

Originally posted by jhelbig View Post
                          Is it true that running lean can burn up a piston ie (running lean can be expensive.)?
                          Ask Chef about that.
                          Last edited by tkent02; 05-11-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

No, the vacuum port is on #3, these are VM carbs.
                            Ah, thank you...my mistake.

Comment

Today 02:08 PM tkent02 Float height wrong, some passage in the carb blocked, a jet clogged, could even be an air leak. Take it apart and find out. Running lean can be expensive.
                              + 1, you mentioned you put on a new V & H pipe. Did you re-jet for it? Have you re-sealed the airbox? As tkent mentioned until you figure out # 2 being way lean and turning the pipe blue I would not run it too far like that either. Do you have any color on the plugs yet?
                              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                              AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Working...
                              X