81 GS850G valve adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS850G valve adjust

I have read the article on this site, the factory and Clymer manual but I am still slightly confused in my attempt to do a valve adjustment. On the exhaust side when it says the cam lobe for #1 should be parallel to the ground does that mean you measure #1 and #2 exhaust in that position or do I rotate the engine so that #2 exhaust side lobe is parallel to the ground and measure that also in that position. The same goes for the intake side. Do I measure #1 and #2 with #1 perpendicular or do I measure #1 and then rotate until #2 is perpendicular and then measure #2 while it is perpendicular. I know this is pretty basic to most guys on here, but I have never done this before. Thanks again for all the help.

Hi,

Put the #1 exhaust lobe parallel to the top of the head, pointing forward. Then measure exhaust clearances on #1 and #2.

Then put the #4 exhaust lobe parallel to the head, pointing forward. Measure the exhaust clearances for #3 and #4.

Point the #1 intake lobe straight up, perpendicular to the head. Measure #1 and #2 intake clearances.

Then point the #4 intake straight up, perpendicular to the head. Measure #3 and #4 intake clearances.

DO NOT turn your engine if any of the shims are missing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

basscliff, you're awesome

Comment

thank you BassCliff

Thank you sir, you have made it very clear as always and your help is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately all the valves seem to be less than 0.04 (the smallest gauge I have) except #2 exhaust. I will double check again, but how should I proceed.

Comment

Hi,

Next you need to find out what size shims you have installed. You'll probably need to order a few smaller ones. Then you can probably move others around to get all of your clearances in spec. Read my guide completely. It's all in there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X