Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch gabbing on low RPMs when clutch is applied

Hi,
    I have a 1984 GS1150E of which I replaced the clutch friction plates and springs about a year ago and was working properly however more recently when I pull my clutch in,when stopping and the engine RPMs drop below 1000rpm the clutch tries to grab a little making it hard to change gears when stopped. If I rev. it up a bit the clutch slip properly and will allow me to change gear normally however when the rpms drop again the bike will creep ahead when in gear, not fully engaged but definatley grabbing a bit. The clutch cable is adjusted properply and is not the problem. There's no problem with the clutch otherwise - no slipping etc. Any sugestion what causing the problem?

what kind of plates did you use (ie, what brand) when you did the clutch. This could be the infamous grooved clutch basket scenario.

Comment

I not sure but I think they were Vesrah disc plates. Someone did mention it may be the clutch basket. Does it need replacing?

Comment

Open it up and look. Small grooves can be filed out.
        Suzuki plates are the best.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Where will the grooves be located? Will they be obvious?

Comment

Like the first two pictures in this thread:

Comment

Thanks for the pics that'll be helpful. What causes the grooves? The bike does have 140,000km. The last 50,000km mine and I don't know of the basket being services.

Comment

They are formed from the plates hitting there at the same spot all the time. A little bit of wear is normal, deep grooves like in those pictures is not. It is a lot worse with after market plates, the Suzuki ones are wider and softer metal, so they don't wear into the basket as bad.
                What do yours look like?

Comment

I'll post some pics once I get into it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X