Well, that was weird...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that was weird...

Didn't know exactly where to post this so here goes. I finally got the big 1000G legal yesterday and decided to tool on down the highway a bit. Decided to head out to Competition Accessories and poke around. Got some really nice complements from a couple sales guys there who remember the old bikes fondly. Anyway, more to the point, As I was heading back across I-70, all of a sudden, the bike went completely dead. Nothing. So, I pulled over to the shoulder and stopped. Tried to start it back up right away and it acted like it wanted to start, but wouldn't. So, I got off and started looking it over trying to find some indication of something wrong, but nothing appeared to be wrong. After several minutes, I decided to try starting it again and this time it started up. Ran fine the rest of the way home. I hate things like that...not knowing what happened. So, at this point, I'm feeling somewhat distrustful of the old girl. Anybody have any ideas??
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

My first guess would be something electrical - R/R, dirty connectors, fuse block, etc.

Comment

check all your electrical. even in the headlight bucket. Mine was sporatic like that and it was the plug in the headlight bucket.

Comment

My honda 650 had a vacuum valve on the fuel line, the little hose from the carb to open it had a too tight loop once and when it get hot it got close so the valve stop the fuel. It took me sometime to figured that one out. The bike stop when hot and start again after few minutes. It maybe electrical also, check connections at kill switch,ignition, coils etc.

Good luck.

Comment

Replace all your glass fuses & clean up the fuse box. You can have a bad one that looks good. Also check the connections on the kill switch & ignition key switch.

I would also check the coil connections & ignitor connections too..

I am distrustful of Suzuki Ignitors after 30 years at the best of times & for ultimate reliability would switch one out to a Dyna S.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Definitely go through your fuse block. Mine did that and that's all it was.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll get into the fuse block first.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

maybe a fuel supply problem..
                it tried to start..let it sit for several minutes then it fired up and ran fine.
                dunt know but maybe.

Comment

Although your bike is a 10 cosmetically, it sounds like the PO was negligent on the maintenance and/or the bike sat for a very long time (judging from all the grief you had with the carbs).

If I were you, I would start in the headlight bucket and work my way to the taillight cleaning every connection. It will probably take you half a day but it will be well worth it. Deoxit is an excellent product for this, they sell both a cleaner and a protectant.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                    Although your bike is a 10 cosmetically, it sounds like the PO was negligent on the maintenance and/or the bike sat for a very long time (judging from all the grief you had with the carbs).

If I were you, I would start in the headlight bucket and work my way to the taillight cleaning every connection. It will probably take you half a day but it will be well worth it. Deoxit is an excellent product for this, they sell both a cleaner and a protectant.
                    Well, I did most of that when I first got the bike, but there's probably some areas I missed. You are correct in that it sat for a long time. Can't believe it's a fuel supply problem considering all the effort and time put into getting the carbs back in shape. In fact, I don't believe that at all. Anyway, I'll start with electrical cleaning.
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

Pop your fuel cap off once and see if your tank is rusted internally. Mine did the same thing once. Im cleaning my tank now.

Comment

Check the power feed going into the connector on your fuse block. Neglect of an overcharging system will melt and or loosen the pins in the connector and cause it to cut out intermitantly. Had that happen on my ES right in the midst of being heeled over hard in a turn. Was a puckering moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
                          Pop your fuel cap off once and see if your tank is rusted internally. Mine did the same thing once. Im cleaning my tank now.
                          Inside of the tank is spotless.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Check the power feed going into the connector on your fuse block. Neglect of an overcharging system will melt and or loosen the pins in the connector and cause it to cut out intermitantly. Had that happen on my ES right in the midst of being heeled over hard in a turn. Was a puckering moment.
                            No problems there. I'm sure if there were, Steve would have caught it today as he was looking the thing over.

On a side note, man I'm sorry to hear about you and Rose going down over in Indiana. Sure hope you two are physically ok. Hope the ES isn't too trashed either. Gravel SUCKS!
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

+1 on checking the connections in your headlight bucket. Mine did exactly the same thing, found burnt connections in the bucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X