GS550E Camchain Tension - In Situ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E Camchain Tension - In Situ?

Hi, new to the forum!! I've had my 1979 GS550E for a month now. The previous owner had managed to shear the end of the shaft and nut off the camchain tensioner by turning the locknut with force (knurled knob part) so the knurled wheel was just hanging on with luck. I managed to replace the adjuster shaft and knurled wheel assembly in situ but I'm now concerned that the previous owner's clumsy approach could have left the camchain tensioned wrongly. Is there a procedure I can go through to check the adjustment without resorting to removing the carbs and reinstalling the tensioner?
    Any advice appreciated!

You can remove the tensioner with the carbs in place.
    It takes a little effort and the correct tools.
    Most likely the other shaft is damaged also.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Basscliff's website has a proceedure for tensioner rebuild. Read it through. It will detail the adjustment and rebuild. Good pictures, so I was able to follow. http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html

Charlie G
      Last edited by Charlie G; 05-15-2010, 11:44 AM.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I have tried to remove the tensioner with the carbs in place but I just can't slide the adjuster out. The tensioner body is blocked by the carb bowls and there's still an inch more rod to come out. I have concluded that it's less hassle to loosen off the carbs to alow it to slide out.

Comment

Working...
        X