Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I find externally adjustable GS750ES forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I find externally adjustable GS750ES forks?

I'm building a new set of OE forks for my ES, I want to use OE legs and tubes with racetech (or knockoff) cartridge emulators and probably progressive springs set up with a proper preload spacer. I have that now minus the emulators but I really hate that press in cap with the wire retaining ring at the top of the forks so this new set is going to have the tubes with the screw in caps.

Yesterday I was looking around Fastfromthepast.com and checking out the fork tube section. They sell new tubes for the 750ES for about $145! Now I wish I hadn't just bought used forks for $75 although that was shipped and a great deal. I checked the part number at Alpha-Sports and it didn't match up exactly so I googled and found this:

Yep GSX750ES fork tubes. The site is in The Netherlands and while the inner tube number is slightly different all the other parts are the same... except:

Look in the upper left, a preload adjuster! Never heard of this on an ES myself but it looks like they must have had them in that market at least. Well great, a lot of cool parts in foreign markets but good luck getting them here, right?

So I went to cycle-parts.com and punched in the numbers for parts 17- 21 and it looks like they can all be had for about $60 a side. Sweet! Of course I found this yesterday and got laid off today so I won't be placing an order just now but once I know I've secured a paycheck again I'll see if I can actually get the parts.

My riding ranges from solo with nothing but riding gear to full up with trunk, saddle bags, tent, sleeping bag and pad, food, cook-set and stove plus a tank bag and being able to set up preload for solo riding and then crank in more for bike camping would be great and well worth another $120 if those cartridge emulators are as good as I hear. I know, I know, fork swaps are pretty easy but on this bike I want to keep more or less OE in appearance with the forks and such.

So, think it'll work?

/\/\ac

51117-34210 $1.89 (USD) $1.89
    51172-34300 $5.81 (USD) $5.81
    51351-34301 $33.20 (USD) $33.20
    51185-45451 $14.72 (USD) $14.72
    51189-45450 $3.88 (USD) $3.88

It does indeed look like you've found preload adjusters for the '83 and up 700/750E models. I've only seen an aftermarket set once and never this. Great find if they can actually supply the parts.

Comment

Thanks! I may just break down and put in an order early next week. It'll cut into my "float" a little bit but not that much. I'm probably about to collect unemployment for the first time ever so that'll help too.

By the way, did you ever look to see if that Hindle pipe would allow the center stand? I check back on a thread where it was mentioned a few times and never saw it if you replied. I've got that money set aside already but I don't want to lose the stand on this bike.

/\/\ac

Comment

Those fork legs are 37mm so if they screw in then you could prob use them on the 1000 and 850 too....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Those fork legs are 37mm so if they screw in then you could prob use them on the 1000 and 850 too....
          Yessssssss.... call me VERY interested.

If you get these adjusters, measure the thread pitch and diameter for us, would ya?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
            Thanks! I may just break down and put in an order early next week. It'll cut into my "float" a little bit but not that much. I'm probably about to collect unemployment for the first time ever so that'll help too.

By the way, did you ever look to see if that Hindle pipe would allow the center stand? I check back on a thread where it was mentioned a few times and never saw it if you replied. I've got that money set aside already but I don't want to lose the stand on this bike.

/\/\ac
            You would have to lose the stand. With the Hindle though you just pull a few springs and the pipe is off. I won't even do and oil change anymore with my pipes mounted. Changing the filter makes a mess of them even with rags so I just take a few minutes and pull it off. The Duplex I had on the bike was held on with springs too so it made for quick removal. With the Hindle you would only have to remove the midpipe and the two crossovers to get the stand on. The headpipes could stay in place. I wouldn't pass on the Hindle. You'll be kicking yourself if they sell out.

Comment

No-Go on this. Some sites list the parts as available but they are not. I placed an order lunchtime yesterday, got a call two hours later telling me they'd tried all sources available to them including dealer transfer and no one shows them in stock. Maybe still in the Netherlands?

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                You would have to lose the stand. With the Hindle though you just pull a few springs and the pipe is off. I won't even do and oil change anymore with my pipes mounted. Changing the filter makes a mess of them even with rags so I just take a few minutes and pull it off. The Duplex I had on the bike was held on with springs too so it made for quick removal. With the Hindle you would only have to remove the midpipe and the two crossovers to get the stand on. The headpipes could stay in place. I wouldn't pass on the Hindle. You'll be kicking yourself if they sell out.
                I'm very happy I got my Hindle for the GSXR1100G

Comment

Also looks like fastfromthepast.com is expanding their line. Most notable are the forks and dampers

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Also looks like fastfromthepast.com is expanding their line. Most notable are the forks and dampers

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servl...ers/Categories
                    Yep, I found those a few weeks ago when I was looking for inner fork legs. I want to build a new set of forks using Racetech emulators and the screw in style fork caps, I've never really felt secure having that little wire clip being the only thing between me and probably dumping the bike when the spring flies out.

I'm not sure if these fast form the past ones are screw in or C clip type but I would have put in a call to find out if I hadn't just spent $100 on two complete fork legs to cannibalize.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                      Yep, I found those a few weeks ago when I was looking for inner fork legs. I want to build a new set of forks using Racetech emulators and the screw in style fork caps, I've never really felt secure having that little wire clip being the only thing between me and probably dumping the bike when the spring flies out.

I'm not sure if these fast form the past ones are screw in or C clip type but I would have put in a call to find out if I hadn't just spent $100 on two complete fork legs to cannibalize.

/\/\ac
                      Yea thanks i saw that after seeing your first post. Nice to see there are at least some areas of these old GSs that are in a growth business. Most seem to be shutting down.

Comment

Working...
                      X