Filling an empty brake system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling an empty brake system

Guys this has to be a dumb question as I can't seem to find a thread on it.

I just installed braided stainless lines on the front (rear next weekend, at this rate) and I'm not sure how to fill up the system. I mean, just fill up the reservoir and start bleeding? Is there something I'm missing?

PS - I don't have a Mityvac - I've read that it makes it easier, but I didn't expect to be stumped like this. I'm hoping I can finish the job without one.

Thanks!

No, it is just standard brake bleeding unless you have ABS. For decades I used a plastic hose clamped to the bleeder screw. Make a loop in it so you can watch the bubbles. When they stop, that line is done. And start at the furthest from the MC, then go to the closer, then repeat until the brake feels very firm and positive. And a MityVac is a lot easier, BTW.

Comment

Just like Koolaid said. It may take some time and a few tries but you will get it done. I also zip tie the brake lever to the bar with a cloth over the brake reservoir, over night, to let any small air bubbles out.

Comment

Also, brake fluid eats paint like crazy. I always cover everything with towels or such around the MC, b/c you will be accessing it a lot. Just a thought.

Comment

Cool, thanks fellas!

Found the tube for bleeding and thought, "Hey, a straw. I can create suction."

Got a bunch of bubbles but then all clear. Worked back and forth on each side and after a while the level firmed up. Left it bungeed overnight and will check for leaks this morning.

Comment

Another way is to fill the reservoir, open a bleeder and wait. Go adjust the chain or eat a sandwich or something. Occasionally top off the reservoir. Shine something or clean your garage a little. After a while it will be perfect.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Success!

Actually, that's kinda what happened. I left a full reservoir and an open bleeder to go write the first post. When I came back the reservoir was about empty, and that's when I realized I could speed up the process with the tube.

BTW, things are looking really good right now. Got the lever feeling pretty good and took a slow speed test ride around my apartment complex. Felt better than ever - in fact, until yesterday, I was never concerned about brake dive, but now I need to keep it in mind. Course, I also swapped the stock bar for a Daytona, so I guess I've also shifted the weight distribution toward the front.

Anyway, then I left the lever clamped with a bungie overnight. Almost everything looked good, but it took some extra cranking to stop the double banjo from seeping at the splitter. That's now tightened up and re-tested and everything looks ship-shape.

Thanks for the support guys - brakes are still a bit of a pain, but now that I've had them apart and back together it's not nearly as much black magic as I expected! Now on to the rear brakes!

[QUOTE=tkent02;1212298]Another way is to fill the reservoir, open a bleeder and wait. Go adjust the chain or eat a sandwich or something. Occasionally top off the reservoir. Shine something or clean your garage a little. After a while it will be perfect.[/QUOT

Comment

Glad you got yours worked out, I did my front ss lines at a wrenching party and the mighty vac type system had mine done in no time at all. Made the 150 mile ride worth it that much more. I also did the swap to Daytona bars and love them.

One thing to note is my resevoir is not level at all on the new bars, but the level line never crosses the low mark so it will do.

Comment

Working...
                X