Head Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Material

I have an 82 GS1100E that has a thread tap broken off in one of the exhaust bolt holes. Does anyone know off hand what the Head is made out of? Is it aluminum or steel?

I cannot find a resonable solution to removing the broken tap, however I have found a web site that sells a product called Tap-X Broken Tap Remover. I believe this only works if the head is non-ferrous material ie..aluminum.

Thanks for the help!

Aluminum is the material.

Comment

Hi,

FWIW:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.htm - The art of extracting snapped bolts.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

if you remove the head..
        take it to a machine shop with a mill and have then remove it.
        also run a tap/thread chaser into all your other exhaust threads and make sure there 100%.
        if not...have all the repairs done at the same time.
        if you try to remove it on the bike there is a 99% failure rate and things could get ugly.

Comment

Yeah all I was doing was cleaning up the threads on these to begin with. Didn't even break a bolt when I removed the old rusty exhaust and I figured I would clean up all the threads before I installed new and the darn sears tap snapped in the last hole. Without any warning it got tight on the way out and wouldn't let go and the rest I'm posting about. It was a crappy day to say the least.

I have talked to 2 machine shops locally that won't do it maybe I need to look around a little more.

Comment

Worst case scenario, if you need another head, I have many. I hope you are able to find a shop locally to fix it. Ray.

Comment

sometimes...just sometimes...
              you can shatter the broken tap as they are very hard.
              a really sharp punch or chisel may work.
              line it up and use a big hammer..safety glasses is a must.
              what do you have to lose?

Comment

Working...
              X