81 gs1000 g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1000 g

Well I just picked this up. Being new to Suzuki's I am going to attempt with some help from here to rebuild her and get her going again after being stored in a garage for almost 10 years..

One question I have at the moment is , what is the difference between GS1000 G, L etc.. Is there a link here that explains it? I tried to search for it, how ever I did not find any thing.. I am probably using the wrong terms.

I probably wont use this, but it was free with the bike so we will see. Its so old it has an 8 track tape player as part of the radio..

You got the best one, the G is a shaft drive standard model. E models are nice too, chain drive standard model.
    The L is the "Ladies" model, gay handlebars, uncomfortable seat, tiny tank, fart cans, too much chrome.
    Looks like a nice project you have, Cliff will provide a whole bunch of information for you, basically everything you need to know to restore a GS.
    Have fun with it, keep the pictures coming.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Welcome Zaipai. I just picked up my 1980 GS1000G a few weeks ago, and like you I am new to these bikes. One of the reasons I decided to take the plunge was that I found this website and quickly realized that I could tackle the project with the support and wealth of knowledge on GSR and Cliff's site.

If you haven't yet seen it, Cliff's site will pretty much give you the step-by-step guide to everything you might ever need to do to your bike. His is an 850, but it is mostly identical to our 1000, including the shaft drive and secondary gear oil case. You will be getting his welcome message any time now. You will find this forum to be helpful, respectful, and extremely knowledgeable. The trolls seem to stay away. I am working on a vintage bike for the first time in my life and have already asked some pretty noob questions. Each time the reply has been patient and helpful.

Most of all, the bike itself is an absolute pleasure. Not lightening quick(mine isn't - yet) but steady and powerful, and much easier to handle than I had imagined, given it's weight. Parts are readily available, and my local dealer still stocks the filter and gasket at a reasonable price. So have a blast and profit from the wisdom you will find around here.

Ride safe,

Ameribec

PS - mine came with a giant Windjammer mounted - I just finished removing it and going back to stock headlight and turn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        The L is the "Ladies" model, gay handlebars, uncomfortable seat, tiny tank, fart cans, too much chrome.

I'm rolling on the floor here... never heard the L described as the ladies model before!!!

Oh, and welcome Zaipai!
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You do have a nice one there! I'm surprised to see the top of the motor without varnish on it. The original seat looks great too.

Many of us have all the parts you'll need to get it going again.

That fairing looks to be a Pacifico Shadow, a nice but huge piece. I'd hang on to it, so you can extend your riding season in Wisconsin.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. zaipai,

The "L" model is the "lowered" or "cruiser" model with a stepped seat, pull-back buckhorn handlebars, extra chrome, etc. Some folks really like them, others don't. You have the standard "G" model. On the home page of GSR you'll find links to a model chart, a picture gallery of member's bikes, etc. It's all explained in your "mega-welcome". Let's get started...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks all.. Its very nice welcome I received here. I will have to check out Cliffs site and the Mega welcome. Glad I found this place it seems to be just what a novice like me needs. This bike looks better in person, it was sitting in a garage for the last 10 years. The guy I bought it from wanted a Yamaha 750 and the guy selling it said he would only sell the Yamaha if my neighbor bought this bike also. So he did, then put it in the front yard for $300 and I jumped on it. This is the biggest bike, both in CC's and over all size I have ever owned. Prior to this 750 was the biggest and all of them Honda's (not on purpose, just happened that way). The bike has no key so I ordered a ignition for it. So once it gets here I will dig deeper into it. It needs a few parts that is why I wanted to know about the model letter. Thanks for that info. I plan to keep it as close to stock as I can, she is a real beauty. I will keep the fairing for now, and you are correct.. it is a Pacifico Shadow, good call.. Well off to do some research. This will be a slow build but I will post pics and vids as I make progress.. Oh, it came with the owners manual and a Clymer manual for GS850 ~ 1100 Shaft drive 79 ~ 84 so I am hoping that is some help also..

Thanks for all the help! ,
              Scott..
              Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind that you need the key to unlock the seat on the right side. So, without the original, you'll have to do something different there as well.

Very nice looking bike man. $300!!! That just sucks! (for me) Congrats on an extremely good price.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Well found a couple things tonight. The brakes are frozen not a big deal I can deal with that. I jumped the starter and the motor turns nicely (I put a little oil in the cylinders before hand and cranked it over only 2 full turns with the plugs out. I just wanted to make sure that the motor was not frozen. I don't know why there is no kick start on these things however it worked out so its all good. The tank is really clean inside so that's a relief.. Tomorrow on to some of the electrical and the air filter etc..

.: Scott :.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    Keep in mind that you need the key to unlock the seat on the right side. So, without the original, you'll have to do something different there as well.

Very nice looking bike man. $300!!! That just sucks! (for me) Congrats on an extremely good price.
                    Thanks.. I feel I got a good price. Right time right place. I really did not have the money but its almost my b-day so my wife said go for it and we will figure some thing out.

The seat does not lock for what ever reason so I am good for now.. but yea I will have to find out some thing for that. I used an old Honda key for the tank, it worked so all good there...

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      That makes me sad I have a GS850L. It's all good. You won't be saying that about mine when I'm done.

Anyways, that's a nice looking bike. And for only $300. Keep those pictures coming. We love them, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                        That makes me sad I have a GS850L. It's all good. You won't be saying that about mine when I'm done.

Anyways, that's a nice looking bike. And for only $300. Keep those pictures coming. We love them, right?
                        Thanks, oh I have one of the side covers, so I have to hunt down the other but the rest of the bike seems to be there... That is half the battle.. More pics as I do some work on it.

Comment

So found out today you have to have the clutch engaged for the start button to work.. Guess its time to read the owners manual...

Comment

Originally posted by zaipai View Post
                            So found out today you have to have the clutch engaged for the start button to work.. Guess its time to read the owners manual...

Or find the connection to the clutch safety switch in the headlight bucket. Then disconnect it. Connect the loose ends from the harness to each other.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Do yourself a favor and read though Basscliff's list of suggested repairs and get busy. It's a waste of time even trying to start the bike until you do a full carb rebuild, replace the intake boot pipe O-rings, and adjust the valves. Do this work up front and you will be miles ahead. 30 year old carb O-rings are almost sure to leak, either right away or shortly so you may as well just get it over with.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X