starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting problem

After putting my '80 550 back together, I am having problems getting it to start. If I press the start button, it does nothing. If I jump the solenoid, it sounds like it wants to start but won't. It has new plugs, a new starter button assembly, new solenoid, and I checked that each plug is firing. I also cleaned the clutch sensor to make sure it wasn't causing me trouble. Any thoughts of where to look next? I am really confused on this one.

check the starter...

could be bad/worn brushes or just gunked up on the inside...

Comment

Ok. I will check that out. What would cause the button not to work though? The wiring all seems sound.

Comment

The following is a copy of a post I made on another forum on this site a while ago -

I wanted to give an update on the problems I was experiencing. A little over two weeks ago I took the right handlebar switch (where the starter button and kill switch are) apart. I found cobwebs and dirt (not dust, real dirt) inside. No idea how that stuff got in there. I cleaned it all out and brightened up the contacts for the starter button, then reassembled it. Have not had a failure since.
        Ken
        Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Get a multimeter, find out where the power stops.
          Could be a switch, a connector, maybe a broken wire.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Get a multimeter, find out where the power stops.
            Could be a switch, a connector, maybe a broken wire.
            or a test light....test light is my tool of choice in these situations

Comment

I really gotta learn how to use a multimeter...

Comment

Find more at the Maker Shed: https://makershed.com In this video Bre Pettis and Joe Grand teach you how to use a multimeter!

not a bad video

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  I haven't watched the whole video but it doesn't seem like a very good video. They aren't even showing all the different selections on the multi-meter. That's where I find alot of electronics/electric unsavy people will ask me questions.

Comment

my 83 gs 850gl would start up one day then next day nothing,checked what you did and it was brushes totaly worn down to nothing on starter.

Comment

Yep, im having a similar problem on my 82 650.

I cleaned the starter switch area out twice, brushed the spring to make sure it's clean.

Cleaned the entire wiring harness.
                      Cleaned and checked all grounds.
                      Replaced the starter solenoid.

I THOUGHT everything was good, I really didn't have any failures at all after replacing the starter solenoid!

Until today.......it was hot as hell out, and I let the bike sit and idle too long.
                      Then I was having starting issues......it just BARELY cranks, then the switch wouldn't work suddenly....but never got a solenoid "click" or anything, so im pretty sure the signal is getting TO the Starter!

Starter was WICKED HOT.....actually saw a little smoke come out from beneath it....although that could be debris stuck under there.

Let the bike cool down for an hour, and BAM, it started right up!

-------

I had 12.6 -13v steady today too!
                      2 week old battery, charging it left and right!

-------

I think my starter needs to be cleaned or checked out....maybe replaced.

Comment

Hi,

I found these on some guy's website. They might help.

Testing The Ignition System

Diagnosing Slow Cranking

Ignitor/Signal Generator/Coil Test

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

How does one do the Ignitor/Signal Generator/Coil Test on a two cylinder?

Thanks.

Comment

Figured out the problem is a bad battery. It would get drained down a little and the button would no longer work. I think the LED flasher was maybe draining it?

Comment

Working...
                            X