Cross country trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross country trip

So I've driven cross country about a half dozen times, and I've decided that it's time to do it on a bike... maybe see some of the things I missed the first few times, and to visit with my buddies from the Marine Corps that are scattered around the U.S. that I haven't seen in a long time. The plan is to head down the east coast as far as I want until I decide to head west. My route is VERY loosely planned and VERY subject to change based on my mood at the time... I'll be leaving a day or two after my band plays June 18th, and will be back in Jersey sometime the end of July/beginning of August. The only definite in the middle is that I plan to watch 4th of July fireworks over the Pacific Ocean from San Clemente beach (for old times sake...i was stationed @ Camp Pendleton and would always go there to watch the fireworks when we were stateside for the 4th).

Some places I may or may not pass through: Atlantic City NJ, Ocean City MD, Virginia Beach, Washington DC, Myrtle Beach SC, Nashville TN, Lexington KY, Cincinnati OH, Chicago IL, Kansas City KS, random spots in TX, Fort Collins/Denver CO, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas NV, All around Orange County/San Diego/San Bernardino/ L.A. in SoCal, then up the PCH on my way to Sacramento/San Fran in NorCal....

Obviously I won't be able to hit up all of these spots in just a month or so on the road, but those are the ones on my list to choose from for either the way out, or the way back....

Anybody on here that would wanna join me for just an afternoon ride or even a longer stretch, hit me up. If I make it to your neck of the woods I'll give you a heads up. I'm sure I'll appreciate the company on the road, plus a it'd be awesome to have someone local show me the best riding in their area!

Also, I've seen routes 90, 80, 70, 76, 40, and damn near every other major highway that runs east to west (plus 95 and the 5 going N & S on the east & west coasts respectively)....BORING... so if any of you can suggest some decent routes that offer a nice compromise between super twisty back country roads and making good time, I'd appreciate it.

I can show you some kickass roads in Colorado.
    Got tent/couch space and a shop if you need to fix anything.
    Last edited by tkent02; 05-19-2010, 02:38 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

haven't done it myself....yet,

but either 50W or historic 66W seem to be 'must do's' for cross country trips. Interstate is good for knocking out the miles, but I will say I-70 from the Eisenhower tunnel to where you gotta turn left for Vegas is a nice drive.

I think you can turn left off I-70 towards Moab (another very nice place to see), and then hook up with another west bound road for Cali.

Also in CO like Tkent....East of here, have to defer to those who live there. Driven across Kansas....Zzzzzzzz.......

Des Moisne I liked, but rest of Idaho...maybe not so much.

East texax seems to hold some promise so maybe a swing south on the return or westbound would be a good idea. Rockies west, runs the gambit, twisties, straight/desert, mountains......

Comment

I can't advise about routes, There are a few of us in the LA Ca area that may be able to get together for a day ride. Or help with mechanical work if needed

Comment

I am in NW Indiana about 60 miles from Chicago if you need any mechanical help or tent/couch space. If you have time Southern Indiana is MUCH nicer to go through than northern Indiana. Let us know your rough route plans and I am sure there are plenty of GSers that could lend a hand if needed or show you some nice roads on the way.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I'm in Indianapolis, with a well-equipped garage, a guest room, and knowledge of the outstanding twisties south of Indy.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

ok, so I've been without internet for a bit because I just moved into a new apt and was waiting to get it set up... Thank you guys for all the offers. I'll update this post as I get closer to heading out, and will try to post here and there from the road. This should be a lot of fun, and I look forward to meeting some of the people on this forum in person!

Comment

a day late and a few dollars short

...but I'm heading out, cali bound by way of wherever the heck I feel like.
                for all of you that offered couch/tent space or wanted to take an afternoon ride to show me your favorite routes, hit me up with a pm so we can link up. See you on the road.

Comment

Cali

Well your on your way, I live in northern Ca. Manteca. If you come this way and need a place to stay PM me. Hot food coold beer...

Comment

so i've made it to st louis so far. had a few snags along the way. Like a lost nut off my cam chain tensioner... (what was that about loctite???) Had to tear the bike apart and rebuild it in a gas station parking lot off 50W in ohio somewhere. also, i rebuilt my forks before i left and the new seals are leaking. it's not the seals i think, more the dumba$$ who installed them so i need to figure out a way to get some new seals while on the road. I've put a bandaid on it for now... literally haha... i took some gauze and wrap from my first aid kit and bandaged my forks to keep oil from leaking onto my brakes or tires. route 50 was a good suggestion. going west on it through the hills of W. Va was amazing! 50W is the perfect combo of 3 lane highway, back country roads, twisty mountains roads, and small towns for gas n food stops. i'm having a blast so far!

Comment

Any dealer should have the seals in stock and i'm sure we have members in that area, hopefully someone comes forward. If you do go through Montana (Not too many people do) i'll be here for another week and can put you up and fix your bike. My number is 406-202-0522 if you do come this way. Pump up the forks here and there and keep it up right. Enjoy the ride.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X