SPrak plug question please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPrak plug question please help

I just bought my first bike a 1987 Suzuki GS450L it ran when the guy delivered it to me I started it a few times later that day then i moved the spark plug wires and noticed they were loose then i noticed the tops of the plugs looked like they were missing and after that the bike would not start so I bought new spark plugs and still nothing but it seems like the plug caps don't fit over the top of the plug so I bought new caps thinking maybe the old plug tops were stuck in the caps and they still don't seem to clip onto the top of the spark plug this is my first bike so I'm not sure if thats how its suppose to be or if there's something I'm doing wrong or maybe the bike shop gave me the wrong caps !!! Please can anyone clarify for me PLEASEEEEEE I wanna ride my bike ??? Thanks

Hehe, I admit your post gave me my first chuckle of the morning.
    When you say "the tops of the plugs were missing" you probably meant the silver screw-on metal part. That is correct for a motorcycle NGK-style plug wire cap.
    What you need to do is this:
    Remove each plug. The top metal part is two pieces, take a pair of pliers and unscrew the outer part. You will be left with a threaded metal part, which is what you want. Reinstall each plug.
    Remove each of the new plug wire caps from the wire. Take a pair of cutters and cut off about 1/4-1/2" of the end of the plug wire. Screw each cap back into the wire. Insert the cap onto the plug. You should feel the cap slide onto the threads of the plug top, and hear a sound, not sure how to describe it, but it will make a slight noise. Once on the plug, try a gentle tug on the cap. You should feel some resistance. Push it back down fully and you are done.
    BTW, welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. I hope it is an enjoyable ride. Our supermember will be along shortly to present his superwelcome.

Comment

Just to clarify...

As koolaid said, remove the threaded top that screws into the plug. You need the plugs to just have the threaded stud sticking out since the stock ignition wire caps fit down on the threads.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        You should feel the cap slide onto the threads of the plug top, and hear a sound, not sure how to describe it, but it will make a slight noise.
        I would describe it as a "ratcheting" sound. Multiple clicks as the electrical contacts slide over the threads on the top of the spark plug.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Congrats on the first bike as a newbie you are required to give us entertainment with questions like this.....it's how you learn , we get both amused and the satisfaction of helping....made me smile too Ed....

Randy

In a different vein people who would bring bikes in or have us pick them up, because they wouldn't start...hmmm is there gas in it?

Comment

Haha when I complained on here for a week that my bike wouldn't run on two cylinders (despite having done a lot of maintenance on it), I found out when I re-installed my tank, the ground on the ignition coil had come off. So of course the cylinder would never fire, it needs some electrons!

Congratulations on your first bike, and welcome. I too learned on my 450 both mechanically and as a rider (although I had previous experience with bikes and other machinery with hand clutches) so I'm a bit partial to that as a learning bike. This is a great site for info and advice, so come back often!

An aside: I'm in the process of selling mine, but because there doesn't seem to be as good support for Kawasakis as this site is for Suzukis, I will still come by often with general motorcycling questions, as the guys here are fantastic. Plus, I hope to contribute based on what I learned with my GS. Plus, I may come back to the GS camp once I get some more moneys to afford a proper "large" (i.e 4 cylinder) GS

Comment

Thread diversion, since the question has been answered:
              spwalker09, what flavor of Kaw do you have/are getting?
              The reason I ask is that I used to go to kzrider for my 81 KZ750 and 83 GPz750. After I got my GS and found this site (in that order) I found it deplorable compared to here, and I don't even go there any more at all.
              Just wondering.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. briman718,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who helped I will do that as soon as I get some time then I gotta charge the battery and try to start it up so I can adjust the idle !! I'll post pics of her as soon as I get her runing and clean her up.

Comment

Working...
                  X