valve stems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve stems

last week I discovered that I was losing air out of my rear tire on my 1980 550.... I filled it up, over night, it would be out.... I discovered it was leaking where the valve stem goes through the rim, BTW I have a star shaped pattern on my rim..... my particular valve stem looks different from what I'm used to seeing on cars, where as mine is threaded all the way down and has a nut on top and it looks like it has a slightly flattened side... I tried tightening the nut, but all it seems to do is spin in place and won't tighten.... my question is, is that a special valve stem that I can only get through suzuki/dealer/whatever, or would a normal car valve stem work in it's place, not the pull through design, but the metal screw on designs... please advise

Suzuki metal valve stem pn 56220-45100. You might try some of the 90 deg stems also
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

They are a design specific to motorcycles (car valve stems are too big in diameter where they go through the rim, whereas motorcycle valve stems are the same diameter all the way down), but any motorcycle shoppe should have valve stems. You don't need to wait on the Official Suzuki part.

There is a rubber seal on the inside of the rim that is probably old and leaky. You'll need to remove the tire (or at least one side of it) to install the new valve stem.

Put a new one in the front as well, while you're at it.

This is all assuming you're tubeless -- if your rear rim requires a tube, you'll need a new tube with the same type of stem, or you'll need to convert to tubeless.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

thank you.... i found a set of metal ones that screwed on at work (advance auto) but when I measured, the bottom was way too big.... I should just do it right and wait a few days *shrugs* , safety is paramount because if the tire blows, me and the pavement will become best of buddies

Comment

I tried some of them last year. They never sealed right and I ended up going back to the kind that has a nut on top like the original. It works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            I tried some of them last year. They never sealed right and I ended up going back to the kind that has a nut on top like the original. It works just fine.
            Nuts. Well I'll have to try them anyway. The ones in my wheels are all rubber, other than the valve and threads of course. I thought those were the OE type but maybe not.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              Agreed -- the problem is that the nuts are on the bottom, inside the tire, and the washer doesn't seem to seal as well as the usual type.

Do you truly not have one single motorcycle shoppe anywhere close? Look for a "Bikemaster" display of tools and such. They normally have valve stems in pairs hanging on the display.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                Nuts. Well I'll have to try them anyway. The ones in my wheels are all rubber, other than the valve and threads of course. I thought those were the OE type but maybe not.

/\/\ac

Haaaaaaaang on a minute here, hoss.

It's possible that your bike's rims have been drilled and converted to modern rubber valve stems. These are easily available in any real auto parts store (like a Napa, not an Autoclone or Advance) -- a 412 or 413 is the usual size. These valve stem sizes are identical in diameter, and either will work the same, but the 413 is 1/4" longer (and much easier to find). The 412 just gives you a bit more room to check tire pressure.

The OP's bike is wearing the original metal valve stems, and it would be best to get new valve stems in the same style.
                Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Haaaaaaaang on a minute here, hoss.

It's possible that your bike's rims have been drilled and converted to modern rubber valve stems. These are easily available in any real auto parts store (like a Napa, not an Autoclone or Advance) -- a 412 or 413 is the usual size. These valve stem sizes are identical in diameter, and either will work the same, but the 413 is 1/4" longer (and much easier to find). The 412 just gives you a bit more room to check tire pressure.

The OP's bike is wearing the original metal valve stems, and it would be best to get new valve stems in the same style.
                  What size hole should be there for the OEM and what size would they be drilled out to for modern ones? If the ones I got on fleabay arean't going to work I've got drill bits and a NAPA just down the road.

Thanks!
                  /\/\ac

Comment

The OEM valve stem holes are just over 8mm (5/16") in diameter. They will be larger than that if it has rubber valve stems, but I don't know offhand what diameter to make the hole.

If they're wearing rubber valve stems, they may have been drilled already. And are you sure your bike doesn't have tubes in the tires?
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      If they're wearing rubber valve stems, they may have been drilled already. And are you sure your bike doesn't have tubes in the tires?
                      I'm sure. I mounted the tires I'm taking off but didn't change the valve stems at the time. I also just discovered that a helpful person threw out my tire lube so now I guess I'm going to have to go with detergent for the dismount and then head down to NAPA for some new lube. The same helpful person almost tossed the entire exhaust system from the 450 I'm working on out to the curb with the scrap metal. Argh...
                      I don't know if all rim lube does this but the stuff I had (from work) was supposed to lube and then dry to a non-corrosive sealing compound to stop rim leaks. I've always had a slow leaker from the front bead on this rim so I was hoping a good cleaning then polish with Mother's and this sealing lube would take care of that.

I got laid off last weekend though so probably no more "wunder lube" from that source.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                      X