'82 GS400T Losing Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS400T Losing Power

Not sure if this should go in Fuel/Carbs or Elec/Ignition, so I'll put it here...
    The bike I just bought seems to have some deeper issues than first assumed. It's a 1982 Suzuki GS400 twin.

I drove it to work Saturday. On the way there everything was perfect, on the way home I was going through first gear, then when it hit about 6000rpm (~9k redline) it lost a bunch of power and was bogging down. Didn't want to idle unelss you gave it gas, etc. I stopped at a red light, and after about 30 seconds this all went away, and everything seemed to be running normal again (it would now idle, had normal power, etc)

I then took it for a longer ride later in the day. I wasn't pushing it past around 5000rpm because of the previous issue, but all of the sudden rounding a corner through first the same thing happened again, lost all power, couldn't go faster than about 60km/h pinned in 4th, woulnd't want to idle, whatever. I turned around to get home, and it progressively got worse and worse, until the point where I couldn't even keep it running anymore, so I shut it off, walked home, and grabbed my buddies truck to bring it home. About 2-3 hours after it was shut down on the side of the road I went to start it back up again (after getting it home and unloaded), and it ran perfectly, could drive it around and it had normal power again.

I quickly checked a few potential things like the air cleaner (clean, not dry/cracked), oil (full, brand new looking, nice and clean). Because it seemed to go away as it cooled down, it seems to me like it's an issue with heat in some way, but it also happened the first time when I had it up past 6000rpm on a quick 5 min ride home, and then fixed itself after a minute or so of more riding, so I'm really confused at this point. Does anyone have any ideas?

I had someone on another forums suggest something about the petock being a possibility (if it was a vaccum petcock, not sure if they are on GS400's). The petcock is the same as on my GT380 (prime/reserve/on positions, no off position), however, the previous owner has rigged up his own stopcock further down the line, as he said it was leaking fuel out when he took off the tank (my GT didn't do this when I removed the tank). Would this indicate something is wrong?

Thanks!

On what I read from your post my first guess would be fuel starvation. At the higher rpm's/speed your consuming gas faster than it can be supplied. After a while of reduced demand (idling, off with a leaky petcock) the bowls fill back up and things are good again. I could be wrong but that's my preliminary analysis.

Comment

Probably got some crap in the fuel. Drain the fuel bowls once or twice to flush them.. Go for a ride..

Comment

Working...
      X