Brake Calliper Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Calliper Install

I am having problems reinstalling my front right brake callipers. the rear and front left had no problems sliding back on but on the front right, the pads are closed too far to slip back on to the rotor. Is there a way to depress the brake cylinder to put the callipers back on?

Pry them apart a little with a pair of screwdrivers crossed.
    If you are careful you won't scratch the pads.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When you take calipers off, you should put a block in them to prevent this. A pencil works great

If they're now fully closed, gently insert something thin, like a wedge, until you can get screwdrivers in like Tom says
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

On the fronts, you can put a C-clamp over the caliper and push both pads over to drive the piston back. Then just move the pad back over with your finger to open the gap.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X