Oz GS owners - Gearsack rack placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oz GS owners - Gearsack rack placement?

To all Oz members - I've just bought a universal Gearsack rack for my 1980 GSX750E and was after some advice re fitting.

Where has everyone attached the rear mounting brackets from the rack, onto the frame?

The only obvious place I can see is the indicator stalk mounting point, but I can't have both there, so it would mean moving the indicators. I don't really want to go drilling holes in my nice rear fender to reposition the indicators - or is it something you can't avoid?

I'd say it would be similar prob for all 80-83 E models at least, and possibly some others.

Any advice and pics would be appreciated

Use the indicator mount points for the gearsack rack, then mount the indicators on "U" brackets on the gearsack rack itself. We have been doing it that way since 79 and it's the best method without butchering anything.

Comment

Thanks very much mate - will give it a shot I'm not that handy with this sort of stuff yet - what part of the rack are you putting them on and where are you running the wiring? The 80 model indicators are on long stalks and are one piece. cheers
      Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2010, 11:40 AM.

Comment

you mount them on the rear downrail of the rack.

there is another way using a tube fastened to one of the cross rails of the bag base section of the rack, a slot in the tube for wiring and a couple of nuts welded to the end of the tube to screw the indicator stalks into. This method lets you select how far out in the breeze the indicators hang.

with my system of basic brackets to the downrails there is no way out of having the indicators way out in the breeze, but all my GS bikes were tour kitted with large panniers so it mattered little.

Comment

Thanks Dunger, thats given me food for thought. I'll have to put my thinking cap on. cheers

Comment

Hi,

My rear signals were relocated when the rack was installed. Hopefully this picture will help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you BassCliff thats one place I hadn't thought of putting them! LOL Looks like a neat solution - not sure if it would be legal here, would have to check.

One of the guys from my local VJMC suggested metal hose clamps (the round ones that you can change the size of by the adjustment screw) to attach the brackets to the frame. Tried a couple today and they worked great! What a simple solution! Not sure how they'd go with a lot of weight on the rack, but I certainly won't be doing any long rides soon due to my health, so they'll do for now. If there comes a day when I am well enough to load her up with gear and take off into the sunset again, then I'll have to rethink them and go for a relocation of the indicators.

Thanks very much for all your help guys

Comment

Good onya Rick, good to hear you're out in the shed tinkering with your baby.

Comment

Cheers Zooks - good to hear from ya mate Yeah she's coming along slowly but surely. Just wish I could ride it more. How's that slabby of yours going??

Comment

Ricko,

the hose clips are ok for a while then the weather and vibes get to 'em

hope your health picks up and you can get out and about, it's getting cold and windy down our way so getting the urge to ride is getting beat by the urge to fiddle.

we are taking the Ute to Shepparton next week, it's a 1000 plus mile round trip but we are bringing back a 1983 GS650G that my wife just bought , now I have two GS's to look after, does the fun never end

Comment

Hey Dunger yeah I realise the hose clamps aren't for keeps but I pretty much just ride it down the shop and back when health permits and may bung the paper of a bottle of milk in a bag on the rack. If things get more serious (hopfully one day!) I'll make some mods.

Congrats on the new purchase! I would never blink at driving that many k's for something 20 years ago and enjoyed long trips. IS she in good nick? (the bike not the missus LOL) wish I could have a few more bikes but am only allowed the one 'toy' Agree its great fun tinkering though!

Comment

this is as the bike is at present, only plan is to go through a few months of tidying up, fitting a set of Tranzac chrome headers and a CF can, let the lady bum around on it for the summer while I collect bits and pieces, then tear it down next winter and replace/repair/paint/polish whatever needs doing.

it has Ikon/progressive suspension mods and near everything else is standard. the seat has been dyed orange but the lady wants it back to red, will get a seat guru to do that (moorhouse if he can find the time)

it is costing me an RZ250 project bike (good nick but some assembly required) and 600 dollars, good swap for my lady who has been without a bike of her own for 2 years and wants to take my daughter out in the country on rides (daughter has a 92 CB250 and thinks her dad sucks for selling the RZ250)

Comment

Good score mate! Those little Kats are nice bikes and a good size. Must be great to have the 2 girls riding and enjoying a shared passion as a family

Doesn't look like there's all that much to do on her for now - looks pretty tidy. I have a full Tranzac system on mine and they are a fantastic quality and great sounding exhaust system.

If i was ever had the money for a second bike it would be an old 2 stroke - RZ/RD 250/350 would be top of the list. Must have been a little hard to give that one up - they're getting hard to come by in good nick these days. Hope your missus appreciated the sacrifice

Hope she has many good miles on it mate and you all have a great time riding together again after a long layoff

Comment

Working...
                          X